Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Want to start trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want to start trolling

Last week I got my first intro to crappie fishing. I was on a bass fishing trip but the green fish weren't cooperating and everyone was hammering crappie so I created a field expedient solution using my bass gear. Now the wife and kids are hooked and I want to buy the right gear.

I've got a 18.5 foot Excel boat (crappie version). I'd like to buy enough gear so that two people can fish. I'd like to start by pushing jigs...but I'd also like the flexibility to pull cranks in the summer. I don't know if I need separate gear for these two methods. It seems like a line counting reel might be desirable for pulling cranks, but not so much for pushing jigs.

Any thoughts on how to set this up are much appreciated. I don't know anything at all about crappie gear (poles, reels, holders etc).

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You can pull double duty with your gear, but as you do it for a while you'll want to specialize your equipment. Linecounters for pulling work fine for pushing also. Most people pull with staggered length poles and push with same length poles, but you can do either with both.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Hi-Tek rod holders for both. The B&M Prostaff Trolling rods are a great general purpose rod for both pushing jigs and pulling cranks....and they are indestructable!!!
    From the ARK-LA-MISS Delta....... Crappie Paradise ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'll start doing some shopping with your advice in mind.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Longlining and pulling Bandits both can use the same set-up. I have Hi Teks and have 5 different base locations so I can move them all over the boat. I use spinning reels with 6-8 pound Mr Crappie to longline and Okuma 15s with 10 pound Mr Crappie to troll Bandits. I just switch out the reels and use the same rods. My rods run from 6 feet to 16 feet with 10 and 12 getting used the most.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mrdux...this place is like a gold mine!

Post Thanks / Like

you've gotten some real good advice from these first post, i certainly agree with what they have said. Beware of reels that are very cheep, most of these don't have a very good drag system. I use B&M pro staff trolling rods and Mitchell avocet reels. I like the looks of the Hi-Tek holders and would most certainly use them,but i already have some Tite-Locks that i bought years ago and they still work fine. Enjoy your new sport,it's highly addictive,and yes this site is a wealth of info.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi-Teks and multiple bases will get the rods held, and hold onto your wallet when you start buying cranks. All the rod and reel info thus far is spot on.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around