Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help w/Gamefisher 15 Hp

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need help w/Gamefisher 15 Hp

Someone gave me a 15 hp gamefisher motor it looks like new . He said it has been in his garage for 5 years unused. We got it started in no time at all , like 3 pulls . It ran fine for about 20 min. then stalled , totally locked up . It wouldnt turn - cord wouldnt pull out . Later that day it pulled and started , but locked up again . I read on a boatmotor site that some of the gamefisher motors are AIR COOLED , but it looks like its water cooled to me . although there was no water jetting out of it when it was running. Any info would be very helpfull .

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
    Someone gave me a 15 hp gamefisher motor it looks like new . He said it has been in his garage for 5 years unused. We got it started in no time at all , like 3 pulls . It ran fine for about 20 min. then stalled , totally locked up . It wouldnt turn - cord wouldnt pull out . Later that day it pulled and started , but locked up again . I read on a boatmotor site that some of the gamefisher motors are AIR COOLED , but it looks like its water cooled to me . although there was no water jetting out of it when it was running. Any info would be very helpfull .

Thanks
    could be water pump impeller gone to pot because of age

Post Thanks / Like

If it water cooled and no water is flowing then the engine will get hot, the pistons will swell and seize up in the cylinder bore. You need to get a manual or call a boat motor parts store and check on the impeller and if your motor is water cooled or not. Dont start it again till youre sure and have that corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , I guess I'll have to open'er up and see whats going on . I didnt think it would be air cooled.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heating Problems

Uncle Rob, Look on the block where the cylinders are. If it is air cooled it will have cooling fins on the cylinders like a lawn mower engine. If it is water cooled it will be solid with out fins.sounds like it is over heating and is water cooled but you will know for sure this way. Good luck! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the head off and look at the cylinders to make sure you haven't damaged them before you go buying other parts. There's no sense in buying a water pump kit if the motor is trashed.

If the motor looks ok, get a water pump kit, thermostat, and some lower unit oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 15 hp gamefisher on my jon boat that runs great. It is water cooled.

marvin