Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trying to understand lake terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to understand lake terms.

I was reading the Kansas City star fishing report and on Stockton it reads, "Stockton Lake Guide Service reports: white bass excellent on Rooster Tails, grubs in tributaries". So what exactly are the tributaries? What does a guy look for on his finder/gps contours. Or even looking at a paper map to identify. I think learning how to identify things like this will help locate fish. I don't know if there is a thread out there that explains lake terms that I have missed but I would like to understand the anatomy of a lake more. Thanks in advance for any wisdom.Tom

Post Thanks / Like

A tributary is a river or creek coming into the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

^ What he said.....look at google and find a big river. Zoom in and you will see small creeks(tributaries) feeding it. Now imagine a dam being built on the river. The tributaries are still there with the channels now being under water. Fish follow those channels from deep to shallow and back, depending on the forage fish they are feeding on.

At least that's what I've been told....I still can't find them, but I use these terms to look

Post Thanks / Like

Its a fancy way of saying the White Bass are running.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to add.......I don't know that I've ever....EVER.....read a report from that guy that was right on. Just fish when you can, where you can!!!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

There have been a number of times I've gone to the lake and not caught fish when the next guy at the ramp loaded up, occasionally the opposite happens! One thing I've learned over the years is some one will get on them every single day - even the days when we can't buy a bite. Use the fishing report as a general guide and have fun on the water!

I have heard a lot of people have been slaying the white bass - it's just not my cup of tea.

Good luck!

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D