Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line Twist Around The Weights

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Line Twist Around The Weights

Seems I have a problem with line twist. For whatever reason seems the line twists around the weights regardless of how far from the hook I place the weights. I primarily night stalk using minnows and after a line has been out for a little while the line has twisted round and round and the hook winds up only an inch or so below the weight and the line is all twisted above the weight. It happened with 6 # mono and now it's happening with 4 # flourocarbon line. I'll put the weight as far as 6" above the hook and this till happens. The line isnt old and coiled coming off the reel either. Any suggestions?!?

BTW, I always use small minnows. Anyone ever have this problem before?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using the round sinkers that u squeeze on with the pliers and it was doing just what u are talking about. I bought some sinkers that was like a small cone shape at wal-mart and it took alot of it out. Sometimes it still tangles, but nothing like the round sinkers. You might try that. hope it helps, it did me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the minnows do this sometimes. Swim in a circle above the weight...another circle...another circle.
    I think I got one...

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be willing to bet on the minner swimmin above the weight too... might try hooking the minner differently.
    I hook mine in one eye and out the other. I've had that happen a few times, but not many.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in the answers also it happens to me a lot. But most of the times when I have a problem with them is when boat traffic is bad and you are constantly rocking from wakes off of other boats. I also believe that the minnow causes some of the problems too. If I know I'm going to fish when there's a lot of other boaters around I'll use a 1/16oz. lead head jig then go up around 10" and put a lead on the line this help with the minnow swimming around and jig head must cause the bait to drop back a little faster.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somewhat

I have this problem when I use a jig and cork or if I use more than one jig and got an idea from Slab Hunter-who uses the 4 jig rig. I put a barrel swivel either above the cork if I'm fishing shallow, between the jig and slip cork if I'm fishing deep, and about 18in above my top jig if I'm using more than one jig at a time. This has solved my problem on both. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never had that problem. how far from your minnow do you clamp your shot? a couple inches is enough. that dont give him much leader to play with. I use a #1 or #3 removeable splitshot which is enough weight to keep most minnows in position.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely, the minnow swimming up to and around the splitshot is the primary cause. Using two splitshots should eliminate most of it. I use a 3/0 and a 7. The larger about 6-8" above the hook and the smaller about 3-4" above that. The two splitshots together make the correct weight to stand my float up the way I want it and the separation between the two shots forces the line to stay down keeping the swimming minnow from wrapping the line up.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up It's definitely the minnow .....

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Seems I have a problem with line twist. For whatever reason seems the line twists around the weights regardless of how far from the hook I place the weights. I primarily night stalk using minnows and after a line has been out for a little while the line has twisted round and round and the hook winds up only an inch or so below the weight and the line is all twisted above the weight. It happened with 6 # mono and now it's happening with 4 # flourocarbon line. I'll put the weight as far as 6" above the hook and this till happens. The line isnt old and coiled coming off the reel either. Any suggestions?!?

BTW, I always use small minnows. Anyone ever have this problem before?
    Especially when the minnow is lively :D (and it could be a sign that predator fish are close by ... LOL!!) As long as the minnow is able to swim "up" with the weight of the hook - it's going to happen. The minnow is just "hanging out there" in open water, and is seeking a place to hide. The sinker is keeping the minnow from swimming off, but the hook's weight isn't enough to stop it from trying.
    I don't know of anything in particular that can be done to stop it ... except maybe cutting the minnow's tail off (so that it can "wiggle", but not swim forward). I don't know if you want/need to go to that extreme. I've had it happen to me, too (when minnow fishing) ... and I've taken it as a sign that I may be in the wrong place :D and need to move (especially if I've not had any bites in a while). If I have had some success, at that particular location, I usually just reel in every so often and let the minnow/line unravel - then put it back down there. ............. luck2ya ....... cp