Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line twist using a float

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line twist using a float

Pretty new to crappie fishing -- I like using a float above two jigs like others on here. I usually tie a 1/16 jig on with a palomar and then tie a 1/8th jig 12-18 inches below that. Sometimes when I cast the top jig and the bobber tend to get twisted up badly. What am I doing wrong? Should I not try to cast very far at all? Is it all about weight distribution? Please help!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Not being an expert I would say it is weight distribution. I have found that if I take my time casting I can eliminate this from happening most of the time. Try not to leave too much line hanging down when you cast.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the smart thing to do was to put the heaviest jig on the bottom. Should I switch them? When I cast, the bobber is at the very tip of the rod, there is no extra line hanging.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would not overhand cast- I would underhand flip it out there. This way the momentum of the heavier jig should lead the way and have a gentler journey until it hits the water. Overhand hefting it out there causes a rotation of the components these complicated rigs and the hooks end up finding the line during the cast.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with TwainGang. Either cast underhand or try sidearm and try not to flip your wrist. If you flip your wrist it adds a flip to your setup causing your jig to come back to your bobber. I hope this helps.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a round bobber. It wont twist up in your line like the long thin ones will.

Post Thanks / Like

If you would try a slip bobber it might fix the problem. They are great for casting when your target depth is over 4 or 5 ft under the bobber.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default bobber

I am using a slip bobber set at 4-5ft so it must be me!!

Post Thanks / Like

BB,

It IS all about weight distribution. The more weight you have farther down the line away from your float, the more prone it is to tangle. Think of your float as a kite and the line below the float as the tail of the kite. If you have a lot of weight on a kite's tail, it won't fly correctly. Similarly, if you have a lot of weight below your float, it won't cast as well and will tangle.

When I cast a set up like this, I don't use anything heavier than a 1/32 oz. jig, and a weightless jig or fly is even better. I use waggler floats and put most of the weight around the base of the float.

If you need a diagram, let me know and I'll try to dig one up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks dbd -- If you have a diagram handy, that would be great. Otherwise, I get the point. I'll save the 1/8th jig for vertical jigging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast