Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing didn't work out my first time....what could be my mistakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing didn't work out my first time....what could be my mistakes?

Okay. Tried out my new 612 Reel-Lite tonight. Went out about 8:30. Fished till after 10:15. Maybe I didn't fish long enough?

Conditions:
    depth of water = 12 ft
    water temp = 75F
    depth of light 3-4 ft

Bait:
    1, 1/16 jig with a chartreuse and black Ragetail jig
    1, 1/16shad color(?) mo glo jig
    1 rig with 3 baitfish (baby bream)
    fished at various levels

Other:
    used an anchor at each end of the boat

I went to where I had caught many fish in previous weeks. Once I dropped the light over, I saw what I thought may have been some small organisms swarming around the light after a few minutes, not sure what they were, if anything. Never saw any baitfish or minnows near the light. I really didn't start fishing till about 30 minutes after dropping the light in. Never got a bite, however, the longer I stayed out there, fishfinder started showing more and more fish. Eventually the screen was continous fish at various depths. Some appeared large. Wife kept calling b/c she was worried (I've never night-fished before) so I came in. I think my lures and presentation may be what is wrong since I was seeing a good many fish on the fishfinder. I'm a little down about this first experience, but I'm gonna keep after it, and hopefully my wife will get used to me fishing at night with a light.

Post Thanks / Like

May want to try using live minnows at various depths until you can pin-point at what depth they are feeding at.
    Use two or three hooks on one line to cover more of the water column at one time without having to many poles out.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those "organisms" you saw were probably zooplankton ... first thing on the food chain, and what the baitfish & baby fish eat.

Unless you have a Shad species, or Silversides in your pond, you're probably not likely to see schools of fish circling under your lights. "Minnows" shy away from light.

In no more than 12' of water ... I would probably have had the light right under the surface. Couple of live bait tightline poles to either side of the light, and been casting a jig well out past the 'edge' of the light & slowly reeling it back. (actually I'd probably have been casting a Roadrunner, instead of a jig)

Don't know if that would have produced any better than what you did ... but, that's what I would have done. Rofl

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    May want to try using live minnows at various depths until you can pin-point at what depth they are feeding at.
    Use two or three hooks on one line to cover more of the water column at one time without having to many poles out.
    Thanks. I had 3 baby bream on one line at various depths. I'm not sure they were far enough apart. Maybe I need to find me some minnows.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Those "organisms" you saw were probably zooplankton ... first thing on the food chain, and what the baitfish & baby fish eat.

Unless you have a Shad species, or Silversides in your pond, you're probably not likely to see schools of fish circling under your lights. "Minnows" shy away from light.

In no more than 12' of water ... I would probably have had the light right under the surface. Couple of live bait tightline poles to either side of the light, and been casting a jig well out past the 'edge' of the light & slowly reeling it back. (actually I'd probably have been casting a Roadrunner, instead of a jig)

Don't know if that would have produced any better than what you did ... but, that's what I would have done. Rofl

... cp
    So if I don't have shad or another schooling baitfsh, does that mean the light won't work for me? I may try a Roadrunner next time, but I thought the mo glo shad would have worked okay.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by throwback View Post
    Thanks. I had 3 baby bream on one line at various depths. I'm not sure they were far enough apart. Maybe I need to find me some minnows.

So if I don't have shad or another schooling baitfsh, does that mean the light won't work for me? I may try a Roadrunner next time, but I thought the mo glo shad would have worked okay.
    I doubt it mattered how far apart the bream were ........ but, yeah, I'd try some small minnows & see how that works out. One minnow per pole is all you need, IMHO.

It would appear that "something" was curious enough to come to your light, as evidenced by your depthfinder. Whether or not they were Crappie
    Only thing I've ever had come to my lights (that I could see) were zooplankton, bugs, Shad, Silversides, and the occasional Bream. The Crappie usually always stayed about 1-2ft below however deep the light penetrated. But then, I'm a Coleman 2burner gas lantern kinda night fisherman Rofl .... but, I've seen the same things when using a black light.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    It would appear that "something" was curious enough to come to your light, as evidenced by your depthfinder. Whether or not they were Crappie
    Only thing I've ever had come to my lights (that I could see) were zooplankton, bugs, Shad, Silversides, and the occasional Bream. The Crappie usually always stayed about 1-2ft below however deep the light penetrated.
    Whatever they were, they weren't buying what I was selling. But just seeing an increase in fish on the depthfinder was encouraging.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are doing everything right.
    Fish in the dark waters outside the light mushroom effect, as game fish are attack fish and hid in the dark waters.
    Your light has two clips one for bobber the other for chum bag.
    Set the depth of the light about 4 ft
    Clip on chum bag to get the minnows to start a feeding process.
    If after 30-45 minutes there are no minnows pick another spot
    Take the wife with you for good luck charm.

Here is a good read to help you fill in the blanks
    Night fishing tips 101
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

I am with CP about the coleman 2 mantle lantern hanging over the side of the boat where you were in that shallow of water. Using small minnows also. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. With your help I'm gonna figure this thing out.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Fish the edges of the light. Also try putting a drop of "glo" paint just above the bend of the hook and at least at 1st go as lightly rigged as possible. Work up from there. The fact that the sonar "came alive" says you`re obviously getting SOMETHING`s attention...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast