Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota with Auto Pilot info wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota with Auto Pilot info wanted

Found an older minn Kota trolling motor with Auto Pilot for a decent price. Read the reviews on the newer ones on bass pro website and most people didnt praise them. They didn't like the motor or the mount. What are your opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had four different ones over the past twelve years and I have been well pleased. My newest one is a 24 volt 80 pound thrust Terrova.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found that by far those who have negative opinions will express them much more often than if the opinion was positive.

I've had a couple of Power Drives and a Terrova 80. The auto-pilot is by far my favorite feature for trolling cranks or jigs.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PDV2 Riptide 70lb autopilot and like it fine. For trolling there isn't anything more I need. This is my second PD, the first was a 40 and not big enough for stiff winds on a 16' metal boat. The fob around my neck is another feature I have warmed up to quickly. I've never used a Terrova so I can't comment on them. The deploy system might be difficult for someone with mobility issues but I have no problem with it. They work smoothly once treated with armor all. The US-2 transducer was an option I should have gone with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Keith K LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that most people who complain about auto pilot motors are bass fishermen who are used to cable motors. They are harder to control in close to cover and are different than cable motors. Most Walley fishermen up north and crappie fishermen who troll and have tried one wouldn't have anything else.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like MK Ipilot. Best thing since six. I have 3 MKs of which 2 are power drives.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I would think that most people who complain about auto pilot motors are bass fishermen who are used to cable motors. They are harder to control in close to cover and are different than cable motors. Most Walley fishermen up north and crappie fishermen who troll and have tried one wouldn't have anything else.

I believe this is exactly where the complaints stem from. Not the best for moving around a stump field dippin stumps or possibly shootin docks. But unmatched for trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    I believe this is exactly where the complaints stem from. Not the best for moving around a stump field dippin stumps or possibly shootin docks. But unmatched for trolling.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If you go into it looking for the response time of a cable steer then you aren't going to be happy with a electronic controlled TM. I think a lot of people think the foot pedal will respond like a conventional cable steer model and can never get used to it. I have to admit that on my current Terrova I really dislike using the foot pedal and find myself using the iPilot remote more than 99% of the time. I had an older PowerDrive V1 with the regular autopilot on the Sea Nympth that I sold and it was awesome for trolling or longlining-the pedal was usable enough for what I needed it to do. I woulkdn't have thought the autopilot could get better until I rode with someone who had iPilot then I knew I must have it. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you knew what you were getting with an electric steer TM when you go into the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish stumps,trees,laydowns and all with the terrova, and zero problems, the more I use it the more I like it,,, and as stated above, darn fine for trolling,,,

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I fish stumps,trees,laydowns and all with the terrova, and zero problems, the more I use it the more I like it,,, and as stated above, darn fine for trolling,,,
    Me too! It just takes practice and patience to learn. Or, is it we are we are gettin' old and don't get in a hurry anymore except to make it to the toilet?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"