Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: juvenile bream as bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default juvenile bream as bait

Well the thousands of minnows ounder my dock turned out to be juvenile bream. Biggest I've caught is 2". Are these okay to use instead of minnows. I have caught like 70 of these things.

Post Thanks / Like

Never used them for crappie before but they are onbe of the best baits ever for catfish-very hardy bait. They will stay alive on a hook when shiners or chubs will quickly die off in the summer heat. Check your state regs to make sure that bluegills are allowed for harvest and use as baitfish and I say give it a try and let us know how they work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Some states, such as Nebraska, have put a restriction on many of their lakes which state that "No live baitfish may be used or possessed." They do not differentiate between baitfish species, you just can't do it. This is to prevent a species being introduced into a lake where they are not stocked by Game & Parks. So the first place I would check would be with your state wildlife authority.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

In SC you can use them, but there is a limit on bream since it is a gamefish and you can't have more than the limit in your possession.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In Florida you could Bream for bait but they had to be caught on hook and line.Good striper bait.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't catch anything. Dumped the rest back.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use them for bait if they are caught on a pole and hook . Search GADNR .

Post Thanks / Like

I use them on the desplaines river here in Chicago suburbs. Absolutely hammer the pike and crappie on smaller gills, 1.5"-2" usually. You would be surprised at the size of the crappie you catch, some are only 8-9". I would have thought a crappie wouldn't be able take down a 2" gill without flinching.