Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Keep 14' Rod from Tangling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Keep 14' Rod from Tangling?

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. My question, how do you keep long rods from getting the lines tangled when you transport the rods? I purchased a 14' Wally Marshall that breaks down to 3 pieces around 5' each. I need to break the rod down so it will fit in my car for transport. Whenever I transport the rods, the line (6 lb Spiderwire) tangles and I usually end up having to restring everything (not a fun thing to do when you first get to your fishing spot).

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to break my rods down to trans port them I would rig them once I got to where I was going...Just my style though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of these rods. I rig them with a 2 hook and bottom sinker rig before I leave home. I break them down, place the top hook in the hook keeper, reel up the slack, rubber band the top ends, then wind the line around the grip, hooking the 2nd hook in the grip then winding the last down to the end of the grip and putting a rubber band around the sinker at the end of the rod. This works well for me. I am fortunate to have a 19' center console that I can lay my 11', 12' and sometimes my 14' rods in the floor and not break them down. Makes for faster setup time.
    My $.02

Post Thanks / Like

I use a couple of the velcro strips to hold the poles and hooks together and put in a rod sleeve to make sure the tangles are minimal. bass pro rod socks have adjustable elastic on the end to hold it against the reel. works for me
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

i keep a box of assorted rubber bands on the boat. on the long rods, take a couple rubberbands, hook one over a eye and go around the rod a couple wraps in several places. this will keep the lines from becoming entangled. if you got several hooks on the line, hook the first hook in a eye, do the band wrap, then on the second hook run a small rubber band from the next eye below the loose hook to the hook. the band tension will keep this hook tight to so you wont have no flopping hooks to contend with. dont worry about saving the bands. when we get ready to use the rods, a small tug will break em and you ready to go. my band box has a handful of three different sized bands. you can get the 1 lb bag of bands at office max or depot and they will last forever. i keep all my ultralite nightstalking rods in one 8 ft box. when we get done fishing, everyone wraps his rods with three or four bands, and wwe drop the rods in the box. this keeps em together, and keeps em from becoming entangled. If im not mistaken, i have 20 rods, (5 sets of 4) in this box. without the bands it would be a nightmare of tangles. when we set up, the rods are easy to hand out to everyone since each mans rods are all banded together.
    Last edited by rango; 05-10-2006 at 02:09 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Accordian fold the sections, wrap tag end around handle and secure the hook in the foam, pull up main line from the handle section about the middle of the folded sections and wrap around all sections and an eye to hold sections together. Reverse the order to set back up.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I use these .....

http://www.crappiestuff.com/crappie_pole_wraps.html

And, even though I don't have rods over 8ft, I do break down the 2 piece setups (for ease of transportation) and secure them with the wraps. Usually I will reel the line tight, with the bait at the rod tip (or hooked on one of the guide "legs") - disjoint the rod into the two sections - put the rod tip thru the big guide of the "reel holding" section - then secure the "insert end" of the top section of the rod against the handle, using the wraps. They then go into a "Sully 4Rod Tote" (aluminum/plastic rod carrier thingy) ... and then into the vehicle. Once at the destination, I remove them from the "tote" and secure them in the boat (velcro strap mounted on front deck). I'll then "unwrap" whichever one/ones I'll be using - and reverse the process when it's time to head to the house. ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use rubber bands. I have also used them when I break the line and do not feel like stringing it again, i just put a rubber band around the spool to keep it from unspooling. Works great!

Post Thanks / Like

rubber bands work great,and are cheap
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Storage

I use pipe cleaners to hold mine. The real fuzzy kind
    One at the handle below the reel to hold the two pieces there
    One at the jig to hold it against the rod
    and one at the tip to hold the two pieces together there.
    When I take them off I put them in my shirt pocket for when I need them later.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast