Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unseasonal Warm Weather In Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unseasonal Warm Weather In Ohio

I am very concerned how hot it is and how fast it has warmed up here in the northeast. We have had many days over 70 and the rest of the week it looks like 75 degrees as average.

2 years ago we had a major die off of crappie because the spawn came during a quick rise in temperature. It seems we may have a problem again unless the crappie stay deep during spawn. Our reservoirs are keeping the water levels down, and that might help keep the spawning crappie deeper.

We are 25 to 30 degrees above normal for 10 days. And already seeing water temperatures of 55 degrees. We don't see those temps for another 4 to 5 weeks.

Is anyone else having above average rising temperatures in the north?

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be out tomorrow (Saturday) in northern Illinois and will give a water temp report. It's been 75-80 during the day and around 55-60 at night. We don't even expect this weather in late April; more like mid-May.
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Much of Nebraska has been this way as well. Since Tuesday we have had temps right around 80 degrees with water temps ranging from 50 - 55 degrees, and that was Wednesday the last time i checked. Next few days we will see temps around 80 while winds really start cranking up out of the south before a good cooldown and lots of rain and storms will put the temps back to normal for March by the end of the next week.

Despite the warming temps in the water, i've heard a lot of folks say the bite has been slow and light. Most species of fish are still sticking to the deeper waters. My theory is, the water temps may say its the right time for the spawn, but the duration of daytime is still too early for the fish to start the pre-spawn activities.

Post Thanks / Like

Same for Michigan, we set a 100 year record this week for the temp. And all of next week is the same, 80's
    Mr. Bus Driver

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie here are staging in secondary points but are holding in very tight groups. If you are not jigging within the 100 square feet area that they are holding tight to, you will get nothing.

I also wonder if the day light duration will hold them back from spawn even though temps are up, like Chris said?

For now fish are holding together but it may soon change. Our March just might be like our May.

Sounds like the rest of you guys are having the same warm weather this year. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

D

Post Thanks / Like

We are experiencing warmer than usual weather patterns for Massachusetts. Last year at this time we had a foot of snow on the ground! This winter the ponds were only frozen over for a few weeks. Water temps are now in the upper 40's - very unusual for this time of the year. Not sure what the crappie are doing; I catch one or two, here & there. Haven't really connected well, or patterned them yet.

Suppose to be near 80 degrees this coming week! Incredible. I do believe the spawn is related to the angle of the sun as well as water temps and local weather patterns. But who knows with fish!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

My homelake's temp in northern Illinois today was 55-56 degrees. Last year at this time there was 2 inches of ice.

Funny thing is I caught the same number of fish today as I did on the same day one year ago: None.
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
    My homelake's temp in northern Illinois today was 55-56 degrees. Last year at this time there was 2 inches of ice.

Funny thing is I caught the same number of fish today as I did on the same day one year ago: None.
    ROFL!!! Good one!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished Berlin, Mosquito , West Branch, Mogadore, and Wingfoot a lot from 1971 - 2000. Usually in March you were just getting into the fifty degree range but you still had a lot of snowfall days too. This has been a strange year temperature wise. Here in Alabama, mid March, we have already had at least a week of temps in the 86 degree range.

Fish are not near the bank. I have to look for deeper drop offs already. It is effecting fishing here in the south too.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out today and every boat out said the fishing was poor. It was a beautiful sky blue day at 78 degrees. Surface water temp in the north bays was 60.2 degrees.

I only caught 7 keepers (10-12 inches) and it was a slow bite.

Maybe that sun angle theory will hold true this year.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast