Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Alabama Crappie Logan Martin Lake and Martin Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabama Crappie Logan Martin Lake and Martin Lake

Fished March 12 & 13 with a couple of friends from Sylacauaga, Alabama. Water Temp in each lake was 57 to 62 degrees. Caught 50 plus crappie each day for the three of us. About 20% were two small but a couple of good slabs 2 pounds plus on Logan martin Lake.

Martin Lake: Launch boat at Alexander City ramp and fished areas close by and some areas within site of ramp. Crappie scatter and catching most on tree tops and old logs out toward the ends in deeper water. Using 4lb lines, 1/16oz open hook jig heads, and crappie Slider grubs. The colors used were June Bug/Chartreuse Tail, Black with gold glitter/Chartreuse Tail, and Baby Bass/Chartreuse Tail. Catch a fish here and there by casting to these tree tops. Fish tend to be a little smaller here compared to Logan Martin Lake.

Logan Martin Lake: Put boat in at Clear Water Boat Dock. Fished across river in rabbit branch area, on main lake around deeper docks and back in clear water creek. Fish were scatter and not in the real shallow (until late) water but moving in closer from the week before. Late in the day some crappie were caught in shallow water..dark males. Also a couple of Slabs caught not too far out from bank. Action was quicker late in day. A few nice size bass mixed in with the fishing also. All fish caught on Slider Grubs. Most of the time casting out let lure drop some then reel back. Later a smoother action worked better by moving the lure by raising the rod tip instead or reeling. This seem to trigger more strikes. This lake has produce 3 pounders. I've never caught that 3 pounder but still trying.

Most crappie caught were males.

Going back to the same areas this next week, 3rd week of March with wife. Crappie should be at peak..up in the shallows and more aggressive.

charlie brewer jr.

Full spring weather in area. Dogwoods and Red Buds blooming. A great time to be on the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csb8.jpg 
Views:	3023 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	85152

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is a great fishing report Charlie. I wish the folks in AL would post actual fishing reports like that on our board every now and then instead of " i caught 15 fish today" and that's it..lol.( i'm guilty of it myself so I can't bad mouth em too much ) Awesome report! Please post again about your next trip on one of the AL lakes.

P.S. Your grubs were the first crappie grubs that I've ever used and I still love them.
    Simple Life = Better Life