PDA

View Full Version : Crappie / bream pole reccomendation

Eddie Mullins
03-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Just wondering what yall are using and would reccomend for a combo crappie / bream pole with reel.

I'm not hard core into pan fishing just yet so not looking for top of the line or custom, just a good value for a good product. Will mostly use from a boat, not for casting , for jigging and bobber fishing.

I'm thinking maybe a rod like this Uncle Buck'sŪ Deluxe Crappie Pole | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Uncle-Bucks-Deluxe-Crappie-Pole/product/32267/79357) in 10 or 12 ft. And a reel something like this Uncle Buck'sŪ Deluxe Round Crappie Reel | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Uncle-Buck-sreg;-Deluxe-Round-Crappie-Reel/product/16504/121885?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT). I have used something similar in the past, and liked it. I have also used a fly rod for this purpose for years, but it's about worn out, and the kinds stepped on the rod..

Lets hear what ya'll use and would reccomend for me and what you pros use.

waterboy1
03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I have 2 pinnacle vertex IM7 salmon noodle rods, 9 ft long that I use for blue gill and for jigging. Love these rods, have cork handles, eyes that will pass a stop knot, and a light action, and great sensitivity, and only about 23 bucks a piece through Amazon .com. Match that with a small but not micro spinning reel of your choice, and you will have a great multi purpose combo. A Pfluger president reel would be a great match for this rod. I use a shimano because I like a trigger bail, but not everyone does.

slab-in-the-box
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
b'n'm jig pole is real good. Also, better yet, a 10' shakespeare slab seeker is a very good rod and a lot cheaper. Got my 12' slab seeker from academy for like 28 bucks. I have a b-n-m also and love them both, but the slab seeker is just as good with same feel for like $15 - $20 less. Pinnacles are good rods for longlining/ spider rigging, but not the best jig poles due to their heavy feel.

skeetbum
03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Handle all you can find, don't worry about a few extra bucks. It's usually well spent. BnM offer replacement tip sections should one of yours break. Few, if any others do. I like my Bucks Graphite jig poles by BnM.

waterboy1
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
b'n'm jig pole is real good. Also, better yet, a 10' shakespeare slab seeker is a very good rod and a lot cheaper. Got my 12' slab seeker from academy for like 28 bucks. I have a b-n-m also and love them both, but the slab seeker is just as good with same feel for like $15 - $20 less. Pinnacles are good rods for longlining/ spider rigging, but not the best jig poles due to their heavy feel.

This is not a crappie rod, it is a salmon noodle rod for stealhead and is very sensitive, easy to feel what's happening below.

TigerFanatic1
03-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I am using 2- 11' BnM graphite poles with phlueger trigger reels. I don't spidder rig yet, so I went with two poles that I can hold comfortably. When I purchased the poles, I didn't have a boat so I bought a reel that can be casted. Now that I have a boat, I would probably spend more on longer and lighter pole and less on a reel, maybe something more of a line holder since I mostly vertical jig.

huntinslabs
03-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I have them and use them trolling. But not great for feel. So if you are planning on jigging with it get a BNM graphite jig pole and don't look back.

FIN
03-18-2012, 01:21 PM
I use a 10' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive. It covers everything, including a 5# cat.
Fin