Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor?

Guys I'm fixin to buy a boat that has a motor that has not been started in 2 years. Any suggestions on where to start? Iassume that the tank will have to be drained but have heard that you could fill the carbs with spray berrymens or seafoam for a day to clean them out.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rod

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would drain any fuel and change the filter if its got one. Then pull the spark plugs and spray engine fog into each cylinder. Hand turn the fly wheel a few times to work the fog into the cylinders real good and put new plugs in. se Sea Foam for the carbs fresh fuel and it should be good to go. It will smoke for a few minutes to burn the fog out of the cylinders but that is a good thing.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

First Congrat's- on buying a boat.As far as the seafoam,it's not made to cleane the carb's, it's for use when you store a motor for any period of time.
    So I wouldn't worry about that.Most all Carb's has a drain screw on the bottom bowl of each carb,I'd remove it & drain what gas that is in the carb,Then replace with fresh gas,remove each spark plug & then turn the motor over like you are trying to start it.That should flood the cyclinder's with fresh gas.reinstalled the plugs.That should make it start up.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the question was answered
    Last edited by Majesticman; 05-07-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

replace the water pump or check it for sure if you don`t know how long it has ben sinse it was changed . for tecknickle advise go to this site . http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl. go to Chronicles of TMD. there is a few videos on some things . it is a good site for information on boats and motors like this one is for crappie fishing.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Rod,

I just worked on a buddies boat when I was on leave and the motor had not been ran in two years. All I did was drain the tank, replace the primer bulb, the filter, and had to replace the electric pump because it had locked up. After all that we put in some new fuel and took the boat to the lake. Ran like a top. The I serviced the lower unit and plugs then had a (better qualified marine mechanic) replace the water pump. Motor is good to go. Hope this helps you out.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Rod...if the carb/carbs have had gas in them for two years, save yourself some trouble and remove, disassemble and soak them in a good carb cleaner overnight. Some carbs are very sensitive to any sediment or laquer. Be sure to make notes as you disassemble them, you may need it when you put it back together. Napa carries a good brand of cleaner, as do most auto parts stores, just follow the directions on the can. The jets in my Mariner are tiny, so I clean them in the spring each year to keep from being stranded on a lake somewhere. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I didn't even think about the water pump or the lower unit.

Rod