Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crankbait Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbait Question

Hope this isn't too dumb a question,but I have read quite a few posts about trolling with crankbaits,mainly Bandit crankbaits. Is casting these same crankbaits an option,or do you strictly troll with them. Thanks in advance for any help..................Tight Lines
    SHUT UP AND FISH

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both with fairly good success. If you plan on casting them this is the time to do it. I fish them from late Feb. until the spawn is over. Or whenever they start moving shallow. Every now and again you'll pick up some nice hybrids or a walleye. I normally use bandit cranks but at times I'll throw a couple rapalas or a bomber fat A (fire Tiger).
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use rapala and mizuno cranks, but don't forget to try out a spinnerbait from your bass fishing stuff. A 1/4 or 3/8 pearl white booyah has added to the crappie limit many times.

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly troll Bomber crankbaits and Xcalibur Wee Shads. I can troll more than I can cast at one time so that is why I mainly troll. Usually trying to cover lots of water quickly. Great way to search for structure!!
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I like to throw Yo-zuri Snapbeans into weeds of pockets and let them slowly sink to try and trigger strikes.I also fancast shallow flats to find active fish.I have caught other species like bass,and walleye using them.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Thanks

Thank you all for your replys. I have printed out your replys and will file them for future use. Hope you all have a great day and hopefully a Crappie one.
    SHUT UP AND FISH

Post Thanks / Like

Casting crankbaits for crappie is a waste of time. The people here in north MS troll them, and have some success. Especially on Enid, where I see it a lot. Trolling gives the best chance for depth control--a bait with a fixed line length, kept at the desired depth. You really can't do that casting. And they are just straining the water, hoping for suspended fish, which they do find. If I were to troll, meat fishing, I would use minnows.

I'm a devotee of Buck Perry's Spoonplugging trolling system, and trolling for crappie is a different thing. The things that work with Spoonplugging for bass is hard to make work with trolling for crappie, because the nature of the fish is so different. But you can catch crappie trolling crankbaits, but it's a slow game.

Just my .02 worth.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by croppy1
    Casting crankbaits for crappie is a waste of time.
    Don
    Waste time..........while fishing? Inconceivable!! :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that means what you think it means? Have I theard that somewhere else, before?