Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having problems

When I cast my line gets caught around my float what is causing this. Need help
    I cast a 1/64 jig under the float when it hits the water the line twist around the float.
    What can I do to stop this it a pain to cast that far and reel back to find that
    my line was twisted the whole time that I was reeling it back in. Please help
    me out and what floats are the best floats to use for distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have this problem a lot before I learned how to cast better....no put down or anything. I use to "pitch" it out there as hard as I could, thinking I would get it out there, but would end up having it twist on itself a lot - and not get any more distance from it than I do now....

Do you cast over head or side arm? I found overhead causes more problems for me, but maybe thats just me.

As far as distance - weighted floats...will get you more distance, but a LOT less fish. The weight makes it less sensitive. I would say stick with either a stick float or a "oval" float. I prefer the oval ones...little more weight and size, without becoming much less sensitive.

Post Thanks / Like

Legato thanks I cast both ways.
    The fish are pretty far out where Im fishing at now.
    I cast in close but don't get any bites.when I cast
    far I try to find the fish and work it back to me.
    I forgot to say that I fish from the bank and not
    from a boat.Do you think the other floats will be
    better or should I add a swivel or add a split sshot will
    solve the problem.Thank you for your help is there
    someone else that could help with this.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love to catch whateverman View Post
    I cast a 1/64 jig under the float when it hits the water the line twist around the float.
    What can I do to stop this it a pain to cast that far and reel back to find that
    Legato has a point. Overhead casts with a float/jig causes the jig to swing around the heavier float. Slowing down your casting motion "can" help. Sidearm casting, hard/fast, will create the same problem ... so it's basically the same fix -- make your casting motion more of a lob than a "sling" of the float/jig (ie slower motion of the rod allows the weight of the float to be what your rod is casting, and the jig is dragged along behind).

Another thing you might be doing, that can cause the line to be twisted, is re-setting your float to a different depth, but NOT unclamping the spring or hook and just pulling the float up/down the line. This can crush or disfigure your line, make it squirrely & even weaken it (from the friction/heat of pulling the line thru a metal clasp mechanism).

First thing I would do is make sure your line isn't already twisted (on the reel). Dragging the first 50yds of empty line around the yard, or dragging it behind a boat at idle speed will remove the twists. Check your last 10ft of line, and cut it off if it's coiled or disfigured (check a longer section if you're fishing deeper than 10ft). Also make sure you're using a strong but limp brand of line. Not having the line on a reel with a small (UL) size spool can also help, since some mono's do tend to set to the loop size/length of one wrap around your spool. Casting this rig with a longer rod (longer than 6') can also help ... but you still need to do the slower motion lob style of cast.

If you're not letting the float sit still, and casting out & slowly reeling it back ... you should have less worry about missing a "lift bite", so a weighted float would work for distance in that case. There's many different varieties of "weighted" floats ... some are styrofoam with a lead strip around the base - Mr Crappie plastic oval clip-on floats with bb's inside - torpedo shaped one that you have to tie on the length of line = to however deep you want to fish - some that you can fill with water - and others.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7/8" oval float either the mr crappie rattle float or a basic float... I rig it up upside down and twitch it towards me working it from the shore to the bank (backed up creek). I also toss small jigs even up to 1/100 oz and I don't have much of a problem with my floats. If I'm using a minnow I'll use the weighted pear floats from wal-mart and don't really have a problem with them either every once in a while it will flip over on top but you just have to shake it a few times to get he line to come off the top of it.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys maybe it's because I'm sliding the float up the line
    without releasing the springs.Will try not to and see what happens.
    Someone said that they fish with the float upside down and this works
    please explain this . I wanted to post the fish I caught the other day
    my picture are on my iPhone and I post from it and post messages
    from it please explain how I can put it on a post for the world to see.
    Pretty proud of the catch would love to post it so you guys could see.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing can compare with a waggler float for distance. (The Thill wagglers are the easy to find at Bass Pro and Cabela's.) Since they are attached at the bottom only, they are very tangle proof, and are perfect for what you're doing. There's nothing else like them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys maybe it's because I'm sliding the float up the line
    without releasing the springs.Will try not to and see what happens.
    Someone said that they fish with the float upside down and this works
    please explain this . I wanted to post the fish I caught the other day
    my picture are on my iPhone and I post from it and post messages
    from it please explain how I can put it on a post for the world to see.
    Pretty proud of the catch would love to post it so you guys could see.
    You should be able to post the pics in your message post ... but, you may have to put the iPhone pics on your computer, first. Once there, you click on the icon above this message field (the one that looks like a picture frame) and follow the prompts.
    I don't have a cell phone, so I'm not experienced with using one to post directly to this site (or if it's even possible to do so Rofl) You can go to the "Test" forum & play around with pic posting attempts, or wait until someone with more knowledge gives you the details.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Like on a basic plastic oval float normally the fat part goes on top with the smaller point going down... if you flip it upside down with the smaller part upwards when you cast the fly to the other side you can twitch it towards you and the float goes thru the water better... I think it helps me see the smaller float alot better with the red being on the smaller bottom side... I don't know if this makes any sense or not but I think you can work the fly alot better...

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the help
    i need help with posting this
    picture of Monday's catch from
    my iPhone can't post the pictur please
    help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast