PDA

View Full Version : Tipping guides, what is standard???

jaxxman
03-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Say you and your buddy hire a guide and you catch a limit of fish, you pay $300 plus bait for the trip, what is appropiatte amount to tip..
or what is standard if there is one.. I have booked a trip and if all goes well another buddy of mine wants to go , so I may use the guide again.. so I want him to be happy..;-).. but not too happy...

Of course if you dont catch a limit what would you do? say less than half a limit?

Thanks

RTJ214
03-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Pay for his meals plus some extra cash if he burns a lot of fuel looking for fish,would be my thoughts.He has set his price for the service.To me a guided trip would be more about learning how to better use your electronics or tactics for bigger fish than loading the boat with a limit.ON the other hand .... if you tip him $500 bucks ... he'll make sure he has a day open for you anytime you call.

chaunc
03-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Pay for his meals plus some extra cash if he burns a lot of fuel looking for fish,would be my thoughts.He has set his price for the service.To me a guided trip would be more about learning how to better use your electronics or tactics for bigger fish than loading the boat with a limit.ON the other hand .... if you tip him $500 bucks ... he'll make sure he has a day open for you anytime you call.
Come on man. $800 for a guided trip? No way. If each guy adds 10% of the charge, that should be enough. Specially if you have to buy the bait too. If you're going just to catch a limit, you're going for the wrong reason. Have him teach you while you fish with him. Learn what to look for, like areas that hold fish at that time of year. What baits they prefer in a certain area of the lake as they will change from area to area. Ask a lot of questions and pay close attention to his answers. A quality guide will teach as well as show you how to catch them. But like i said, if you're only going for limits, then you'll just be buying fish. Either way, i hope you have a great time.

Crappie Reaper
03-14-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm wondering why you would tip him in the first place? It's his business and he sets his prices he needs. His job is to put you on fish and if he doesn't, he'll not be in business long. If one uses a guide on a regular basis, I could understand a tip with the understanding you would appreciate some preferential treatment in booking him. Chatt, please don't hate me....

river slabs are better
03-14-2012, 07:07 AM
if its a great trip, 50 bucks, if not 25 buckss....and if its terrible...dig thru your console for a wendys coupon. im sure you can find one somewhere....

jaxxman
03-14-2012, 07:29 AM
if its a great trip, 50 bucks, if not 25 buckss....and if its terrible...dig thru your console for a wendys coupon. im sure you can find one somewhere....

Thanks for the info.. Oh I plan on learning all I can, that is the main reason I am going with a guide.. I can catch those crappie in shallow water, but have no ideal about deep water fishing and thats what I want to learn about. But I didnt want the guide to feel shafted.. I was thinning for a good trip around the $50 mark, but wanted to ask others opinion..
Yeah I understand the one guys , you pay $325 plus bait and ice, The guide has made pretty good that day even if you dont tip..yeah I know gas is high and you are paying for knowledge as much as catching.. I am sure the guide wouldnt be out over $25 for gas, but he would have wear and tear on his boat and tackle..
But he is in the service industry and you usually tip those in the service industry.. If I have a good trip I will tip.. just not too much.lol.

M R Dux
03-14-2012, 07:29 AM
chaunc is 100% correct in his reply. Limits of fish are few and far between for even the best fishermen or guides. If that is your only criteria on how you are going to gauge your trip, you are probably going to be disappointed and not the kind of client the guide wants as a repeat. If the guide works his tail off and there are conditions out of his control, are you still going to blame him if you don't catch a limit? Weather, high water, etc are not things he can do one iota about. Your consideration of a tip should be based on his equipment and how he uses it to make the trip successful, what kind of person he is and how he communicates his knowledge to you and your buddy, and his overall effort to put on a good trip.

joejv4
03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Charters around here are big boats for salmon on Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes. Generally there will be a licensed (USCG six-pack) captain and a mate running the charter. The Captain is generally the charter owner/guide, and he's the one who get's the check for the service. Generally, we tip the mate $5 or $10 per person (depending on how many of us go) so that he ends up with $40 or $50.

Now here's the reasoning... In most cases, the "mate" is either not getting paid, or going on minimum wage - doing this to log hours for his own captain's license. The captain get's his check, which is the rate he's set for his service, and the Mate gets a tip and maybe a small paycheck.

2KanZam
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
A guy I know guides for smallmouth on the New River in WV. Typically these are rafts with a single oarsman (guide) and 1 or 2 fisherman. When asked the same question he said "$100 will make sure I take you as a client in the future....$50, well, I'll entertain you again only if I have no other clients (even first time customers) scheduled and need the money." Granted it is a specialized trip with whitewater, and they have more clients than time.

None-the-less I was a little surprised at that high of a figure. Thought to myself, "well good thing I don't need a guide then......"

deathb4disco
03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
I tip 20%.

Crappiehappy
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
15 - 20% is the norm....

Crappie Chatt
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm wondering why you would tip him in the first place? It's his business and he sets his prices he needs. His job is to put you on fish and if he doesn't, he'll not be in business long. If one uses a guide on a regular basis, I could understand a tip with the understanding you would appreciate some preferential treatment in booking him. Chatt, please don't hate me.... I,,, NEVER,, expect a tip. That's something I must earn. Even when I 'Think' I should get one, It's not what I'm looking for. Some wants limits, others tactics, some want to learn a lake to fish the rest of the year. Guides,,, give your clients what 'THEY' want. They are paying!! Go the 'extra' mile,,,, get them to catch fish(they aint payin ta watch you catch). Do these things and they will recomend you!! Dats better than tips!!! You'll be swamped with trips!!! JMO <*)}}}><

alamancecreek
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
When using a charter down at the coast and there were 4 or 5 of us, we always try to make sure the mate walked away with 100 dollars in his pocket. It's only 20-25 dollars per person. Same applied on our hunting trips, we tried to make sure the guide was taken care of. It pays off if you're a repeat customer IMHO. I've never chartered a freshwater trip but I know that I would tip something.

RTJ214
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Come on man. $800 for a guided trip? No way. If each guy adds 10% of the charge, that should be enough. Specially if you have to buy the bait too. If you're going just to catch a limit, you're going for the wrong reason. Have him teach you while you fish with him. Learn what to look for, like areas that hold fish at that time of year. What baits they prefer in a certain area of the lake as they will change from area to area. Ask a lot of questions and pay close attention to his answers. A quality guide will teach as well as show you how to catch them. But like i said, if you're only going for limits, then you'll just be buying fish. Either way, i hope you have a great time.

I said "ON THE OTHER HAND" (I was joking) but I am sure a $500 tip wouldn't go unnoticed.

jaxxman
03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=chaunc;1842490]Come on man. $800 for a guided trip? No way. If each guy adds 10% of the charge, that should be enough. Specially if you have to buy the bait too. If you're going just to catch a limit, you're going for the wrong reason. Have him teach you while you fish with him. Learn what to look for, like areas that hold fish at that time of year. What baits they prefer in a certain area of the lake as they will change from area to area. Ask a lot of questions and pay close attention to his answers. A quality guide will teach as well as show you how to catch them. But like i said, if you're only going for limits, then you'll just be buying fish. Either way, i hope you have a great time.[/QUOTE I said "ON THE OTHER HAND" (I was joking) but I am sure a $500 tip wouldn't go unnoticed.

Oh I knew it was a joke.. but I am sure someone has dumped a $500 tip before and I am sure the guide would remember him..from the responses looks like 15 to 20 % would be a standard and go up or down from there based on the service and catching... I guage my restaraunt tips on how full my tea glass stays.. if iit stays full I tip at least 20% sometimes more, if not I go to 10%.. I would hardly ever leave nothing. Even a bad waiter has bills.. lol.

RTJ214
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
This same topic came up a few weeks back on another fishing site.I was considering taking a guided trip on Lake Fork at $450 for a full day till I read how much was expected as tip.The "tip" changed my mind...I put that money in a new MinnKota Fortrax.

RTJ214
03-15-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't think the waiter/fishing guide comparison makes sense.This guy sets his rate,the waiter makes next to nothing and depends on tips.The better the waiter preforms the better the tip should be.The guide has way more variables that can screw up a trip.he also has overhead (boat,tackle,insurance and fuel)At $450 a day,he should clear 300 bucks easy.It was suggested that a 50% tip was about right...thats when I ordered my new trolling motor.

M R Dux
03-15-2012, 07:27 AM
I guide waterfowl hunters and am also the outfitter. Essentially I'm the chief cook, bottle washer, waiter, etc. I have some groups who tip very well and some that don't tip at all. That doesn't affect my level of service or effort. I'm going to work my rear end off to put on a good hunt but the variables that may affect the hunt are many and most are out of my control. The typical tip I receive is 10-20 percent.

Rees Guide
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Tips are earned and should not be exspected. With that being said, 8 hours on the water in MS will cost ya between 300 and 350 a day for up to 2 folks. 25 dollars in fuel is a joke down here guys, know a guy that guided Sardis earlier this week. He had 40 bucks in fuel just getting to and from the lake plus what fuel and oil he burnt in the boat, insurance, boat payment. These guys arent making a KILLING.
As far as whether or not you had a good day or not that is relative, fishing is TUFF rite now due to low water levels but they can be caught but your guide may very well have to work his butt off to get on em.
Another thing to keep in mind is if you are the one tending the poles it's not the guides fault you missed a fish, spider rig bites sometimes are very lite and I know I have seen the guide just shake his head due to lack of experience. He can only help you so much the catching is up to you.
Also, down here listen to your guide, we are blessed to have 4 COE lakes within 70 miles of each other. Your heart may be set on Grenada but sometimes Sardis is the place to be. August last year Arkabutla was the place to be. Your guide will know whick is on when you get here and being flexible can be a major factor as well. All 4 have 3 pounders in em!!
Back on topic, whether or not you caght the fish you exspected if you would use this guy again I would tip him, as for how much thats totally up to you. Fished Lake Seminole one time with a guide, lake turned over the day before we got there. Not his fault and he worked his butt off trying to get us on fish, burned alot of fuel looking for fish. He got tipped well even tho the trip was some what of a let down.
Good luck guys and gals, have fun and enjoy what the Lord has blessed us with to enjoy.

slickwater1
03-15-2012, 08:49 AM
I use a guide when I go to the coast for inshore and offshore. We tip between 15-20%, by doing this several times over, I have three captains that I could call at anytime and they would make sure we had a trip open. I charged a guy couple years ago $100 bucks for me to carry him crappie fishing, You would have thought I charged $1000, now when he calls to go back I either don't answer or just tell him how many we been catching and let him know that we don't have any room. Can't tell you how many times I have been out on the water and seen this guy on the spots I carried him to and it never fails for him to ask me how we are catching them. He was the most inconsiderate client I have ever had.