Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some info please

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some info please

I am seriously considering moving from Illinois to near Barren River Lake. How is the crappie fishing, or any other fishing, on this lake? :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up According to KDFWR ... Barren River Lake for 2006 -

BARREN RIVER LAKE 10,000 acres (Allen and Barren counties)
    Bluegill/Redear Good Large population present with occasional 7-8 inch fish. Fish stump beds and back of coves during the spring and fall with deeper fishing in the summer along rock outcrops.

Catfish Excellent Good populations of channel and flathead catfish present with some larger individuals. Best fishing period is during June when spawning occurs along rock outcrops and back ends of smaller coves. Summer fishing with bank lines or jugs will produce good catches. Night fishing generally best.

Crappie Good/Fair Black crappie comprise the majority of the crappie population. Remainder of good 2003 spawn/year class of black crappie should fully recruit to harvestable size (9") as year progresses. White crappie will be in short supply, but most will be 10 inches or better. Target shallower water to find black crappie in spring and early summer. Summer fishing is best around deeper structure and fish attractor sites.

Hybrid striped bass Excellent Overall numbers are good with large fish (20-inch plus) available. Adults will move into headwater areas in the spring. Target main lake areas in the summer and fall as schools appear throughout the lake. Trolling and casting during the early morning periods most productive over flats and long points. Some fish taken during the winter months scattered throughout the lake.

Largemouth bass Good Higher than average numbers of 15-inch plus fish will be available as year progresses.

White bass Fair/Poor Population numbers still low but increasing. White bass have been stocked since 2002 to bolster chronic low population. Fish are scattered in main lake areas and often present with the hybrid striped bass of equal size. Target headwater areas during spawning runs in late March to mid April.

Yellow bass Fair Yellow bass numbers continue to increase at Barren River Lake. Compared to white bass & hybrid striped bass, yellow bass are smaller in size (6-9 inches), have darker lines on their sides, and appear yellowing in color. Lines on the lower rear portion of the fish may be broken and appear to be in a line. Fishing methods similar to white bass using smaller jigs & spinners.
    (copied from KDFWR website)

I don't fish it, or I'd give you a personal report. I do hear a lot about the good Hybrid Striped Bass fishing ... and I know there are a lot of Bass tournies held there (state/local, not Pro circuits). You could probably find out a bit about the Bass fishing, by looking on the www.fishin.com website (discussion board, Ky section). Here's a link to the current "fishing report" from that site : http://www.fishin.com/reports/ky/ky-1/barren.htm

You'd be right in the middle of several other lakes, too. Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Nolin Res., and Green River Lake are all less than 2hrs away (+/-).
    Out of all of those, I've only fished Green River Lake, for Crappie, enough to comment on it ... and not even there, recently. Though, I do have to admit, I've caught some nice stringers of Slabs from Green River Lake, in years past. It's like most of the other "Crappie" lakes in KY ..... cyclic. Couple of years of so-so, then a banner year of Slabs. :D

Hopefully, some of the other KY board members will chime in with their comments ................ luck2ya ...... cp

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP! Sounds like I would not run out of places to fish. I feel a lot better about relocating if I have to!