Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to set up my boat for spider rigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to set up my boat for spider rigs?

I have as 2003 War-Eagle 2072-LDSV with with, three base plates on the front deck. The trolling motor is on the left side. And the head of the trolling motor will lay in in the left seat. So my question is, How to sit the boat up with the spider rig rod holder on that side of the boat? And have it out of the way when the trolling motor is retracted into the boat?
    I can post a picture of what I'm talking about if that would help?
    Also have three base plates for seats on the back deck. I ordered this boat to fish 4 people.

Then also have a 2004 War-Eagle 754 that I have a seat base on both decks up fount. And use a hand control trolling motor on it. I would like the spider rigs be able to be used in both boats. so what kind of base would you use?

Sorry for all the Questions, But thats the only way to find out.

Thanks
    Pete
    Pickwick Dam Tn

Post Thanks / Like

It might help to post a few pictures. It's easy to do if you set you digital camera up to save the file in compressed jpg format. There is a limit on the amount of memory that a picture can take up when posted in here. I can't remember the size but it's Kilobytes of size. When you try to post a picture in here it will tell you if it was uploaded or if it was too big to upload. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 so I can go back and find the picture on my hard drive and save it in a smaller format and try to upload it again. That normally will work.

Here is a section I cut and pasted from the Board's FAQ section:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the forums should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PS I am guessing the the 2003 War-Eagle 2072-LDSV is a boat of some type. Sorry but I am not familar with that type of boat. Is that made by War-Eagle or is that the model name of a boat made by a large company? ie is it made by G3, Triton. or Fisher Boats or Lowel or some other boat manufacture?

I am sure that a few pictures (especially some close up) would help other's give you some ideas) I too would like to know more about how to mount rod holders like the tite-lok systems on boat decks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    I have as 2003 War-Eagle 2072-LDSV with with, three base plates on the front deck. The trolling motor is on the left side. And the head of the trolling motor will lay in in the left seat. So my question is, How to sit the boat up with the spider rig rod holder on that side of the boat? And have it out of the way when the trolling motor is retracted into the boat?
    I can post a picture of what I'm talking about if that would help?
    Also have three base plates for seats on the back deck. I ordered this boat to fish 4 people.

Then also have a 2004 War-Eagle 754 that I have a seat base on both decks up fount. And use a hand control trolling motor on it. I would like the spider rigs be able to be used in both boats. so what kind of base would you use?

Sorry for all the Questions, But thats the only way to find out.

Thanks
    Pete
    Pickwick Dam Tn
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Its a War-Eagle boat. WAr-eagle makes them. Its 20ft long and 6ft in the bottom and right at 8ft across the bottom.Also has a 12 degree hull. I will get a few pictures posted.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Heres 2 pictures of the front of the boat.
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Pete
    Hello Shiloh red. I went the cheap route and bought some 5/8" Threaded, pipe a 2 by 4 and some rod holders. I cut the 2 by 4 into 16" pieces and drilled a hole through the middle of the piece and put the treaded pipe through it and atatched it with a cap nut and a reg. hex nut. Then I Drilled 2 more holes and attatched 2 rod holders and placed another where I drilled the center hole ( it's the kind that you can lock down with a nut and washer )
    for a total of three. Then I drilled a hole in my boat and attatched it with 2 more hex nuts and washers. I supose you could put more rod holders if you wanted. This stays out of the way of my trolling moter and every thing else! I will attach the only picture i have of this, it's in the background in the back of the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Pete
    Hi Shiloh,
    I just started spider rigging this year and it has been a blast! I did alot of research and recieved a ton of help from the GREAT people on this site. I wasn't sure if I would like it well enough to spend the bucks that alot of people spend that have good quality spider outfits so I just made me some outfits as cheaply as I could to just kinda experiment and see if I would like it. Well to my surprise these outfits were stronger than I thought they would be and they have worked great. Just a few weeks ago I hooked into a 9lb musky and the rod was in the rod holder for quite a while before I could get to it and it held up very well. By looking at the pictures of your boat I don't see why most of the commercial outfits out there wouldn't work with your setup. I have to dis-assemble one rod rack when I pull my trolling motor up but it is just a matter of unscrewing a flange which is no problem. Here is my setup ,hope it helps. I made my rod racks from a 2x4 cut to 13" long sanded & stained. Drilled 3 evenly spaced holes down the length of it and mounted 3 inexpensive rod holders ($ 3.95 apiece from wal-mart ) in each hole with a nut & washer on the bottom. Next mounted a 3/4 " flange under the middle holder. Next mounted a 3/4" flange on my deck, my deck is carpeted wood so i could just mount the flange with 4 screws and if i want to take it up later the carpet will reclaim the holes and you would never know it was there.
    Next I just screw a 12" x 3/4 '' pipe into the flange on the deck and then screw the flange on the 2x4 to the top of the pipe and there it is . You can loosen the bolt on the rod holders and adjust them to the desired position then tighten them down and you can swing the rod holders horizontally to your desired position due to them being on threaded flanges. Looking at your pictures it looks like you have plenty of room to mount these flanges anywhere you want. The neat thing is when your done you just unscrew them and store them away leaving the flange attached to your deck. These flanges are so low profile that they are completely out of the way. I have 4 rod racks with 3 rodholders in each one and places to attach on all 4 corners of my boat. Here in Indiana you are allowed 3 rods at a time so thats why I made them with 3 rod holders. I probably only have about $15.00 in each one and if I decide to go with a better quality outfit in the future I can just swap them out. On your boat the 12" pipe might be too long or too short so you would just have to decide where you want to mount them then get your measurements. ...........treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    Hello Shiloh red. I went the cheap route and bought some 5/8" Threaded, pipe a 2 by 4 and some rod holders. I cut the 2 by 4 into 16" pieces and drilled a hole through the middle of the piece and put the treaded pipe through it and atatched it with a cap nut and a reg. hex nut. Then I Drilled 2 more holes and attatched 2 rod holders and placed another where I drilled the center hole ( it's the kind that you can lock down with a nut and washer )
    for a total of three. Then I drilled a hole in my boat and attatched it with 2 more hex nuts and washers. I supose you could put more rod holders if you wanted. This stays out of the way of my trolling moter and every thing else! I will attach the only picture i have of this, it's in the background in the back of the boat.
    Hi J.T.
    I couldn't believe it, I just submitted my reply to Shiloh and up popped your reply. Yours looks just like mine , same rod holders , 2x4 and pipe. Shiloh if you look at J.T. It would be a picture of mine also! Wow! that was cool. J.T. have you had good success with this setup? It seems to work well for me. By the way....nice crappie.....It sure gets in your blood doesn't it!.......treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Hi J.T.
    I couldn't believe it, I just submitted my reply to Shiloh and up popped your reply. Yours looks just like mine , same rod holders , 2x4 and pipe. Shiloh if you look at J.T. It would be a picture of mine also! Wow! that was cool. J.T. have you had good success with this setup? It seems to work well for me. By the way....nice crappie.....It sure gets in your blood doesn't it!.......treepotato
    That is funny, although you explained it much better! I am glad you submitted that, it is much more informative than what I had. I have had success with my set up, I only have them in the front now though. I liked using them more for night fishing. Spider rigging can be a headache at times though, especialy when your alone and you land a fish on more than one pole! Lol don't we all wish we had that problem more often!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. i think I will make up a set this weekend. Also i have some 1/8"x2" angle in the shop. I think I will try it for the piece to hold the rod holders. And i have 6 of the rod holders like the one in my boat picture. So i will use them for now.
    treepotato That was my biggest problem. Getting the rod holder to be out of the way of the T/M. But I think I will try it like yours. Just fix it where it can be moved when the T/M is moved back into the boat.

Pete