Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Aluminum boat battery issue/concern

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aluminum boat battery issue/concern

I have an 1860 Horizon aluminum boat. I knew I had a weak crank battery but chose to try to get another trip out of it. I also carried a spare battery and jumper cables just in case. As my luck goes, about 3/4 of the way thru the day my GPS started acting up and when I checked the crank battery voltage, it read 8.4 volts. I decided to just hook up the spare via the jumper cables to finish out the day. I had no issues and finished out a good day with a friend and my Dad. I loaded up and trailered home. When I backed into my garage, I walked to the back of the boat to let the motor down with the trim/tilt. What I saw really scared me! The ground wire on the motor (75 HP Yamaha) was glowing RED and all the insulation had melted. This wire runs from the transom mount/tilt cylinder to the lower unit. I took the jumper cables off and checked the crank battery in the bilge compartment. It appears the positive post on the battery had come into contact with the aluminum boat structure. I was able to tilt and start the engine off the questionable crank battery. When I checked the power to my electronics and console, the 30 amp circuit breaker had kicked. I reset the breaker and all seemed fine. What should I look for if there is possible damage from the battery shorting? I figure the ground wire is toast and will have to be replaced. My trolling motor has 2 separate batteries that are in a different location in the boat and were not involved. Any ideas?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If that's the only wire that melted, you shouldn't have a problem. Your breakers worked as advertised and protected your electronics. Replace the wire and see if everything works. It woulda been my luck the the transom would have a hole melted in it. hahahaha.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to really watch and keep terminals covered or in a battery box when possiable. I had a accident years ago with a battery. I run a pair of deep cycle battries in a forward storage box on my boat. The pair is to run electronics and 12/24 trolling motor as well as hold bow down on take off. I bought taller batteries and removed boxes to fit in compartment. I did'nt cover terminals so when I stepped on deck (lid) a battery shorted out and posts melted into battery! I wonder if it could have exploded?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

use tie down straps to keep the batts from moving around.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.