Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Favorite way to rig a REAL cane pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite way to rig a REAL cane pole

I am about to pick up a small bundle of finished real cane poles, I have seen very simple rigging to a little complex. My Grandpa used to use #20 mono tied about 3 ft from the end and use black electrical tape every 6 inches or so to tape the line to the pole, tie another knot on the very end. he used a fixed torpedo float, skinny heavy crimp on weight and a thin wire hook.
    Does anyone have particular way that they would rig a cane pole?

thanks

flymoron

Post Thanks / Like

I would nail knot a 3-4" section of fly line to the tip of the pole and tie an overhand knot in the free end of the fly line.

Bingo! You're done.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the real CANE poles, but love to dip brush in the spring with telescopic 13' rods. I have been doing it for years, and have never once, seen anybody else on the water do it. Its as simple as it gets, and as much fun as you can have.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Could not pass this 1 up.My grandfather took me fishing when i was very young.He had us cut or own poles in the river bottom and dig or own worms at the cow pasture.To the point ,tie your line about 3 to 4 feet from the tip then half hitch all the way up, makes it all work together.Best time of my life with my pap,he could afford what ever he wanted but made his grandsons appreciate where things come from ,THANKS PAP.

Post Thanks / Like

just tried this on a new cane pole,

#4 floroclear,bobber stop,bead,thill hard foam fly line indicator,bb split shot,long shank #8 smashed down barb, worked great!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid cane poles are all we used. We made the tip and guides out of metal clothes hangers and electrical tape. Take a metal clothes hanger and cut it in 4 inch sections. Bend them with some pliers to make the eyes and a tip. Then cut a piece about 8 inches long and bend it into a oval shape. Use electrical tape to install them and string the pole with 20 lb braid. We would use one hand to pull the cork up to the tip. Get the rod tip deep in the cover and drop down the minnow. When you get the thump simply set the hook pull the cork to the rod tip and back out the crappie. During the spring we would slay them.

Reggie

Post Thanks / Like

dacron line with a leader of mono.