Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging reels

What kind of reels are you guys using on your spider rigging setups? I have some Quantum OP30F spinning reels but they seem kinda big for 14' Capps and Coleman trolling rods.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

I use whatever I have. All they have to do is hold line. You dont even need a drag unless you get hung, then its nice to have.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I use some refurbished shakesphere and plueger baitcasters I got in a wholesale lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the quantums you do except in the 20 series. I like the drag especially when u hang bigger fish as at Grenada. Keeps alot of fish from breakin off
    Member Of Team GetDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much agree with Wilber, they're just a place to hold the line. Having said that, I prefer bait casting reels, the cheaper the better, EXCEPT FOR THOSE TINY KINDS (every one of those I've tried I wound up with the line going behind he spindle.) I found some "full size" bait casters on ebay for $20.00 apiece, so I use them. I turn my pole in the holders so that the reel is upside down. What I like is that I can pull off line very easily in one-foot increments so that I know close to exactly how deep my baits are. Hold up rod, bring the baits to the bottom and that is fourteen feet, then a pull off one foot to allow the distance from the tip of rod to top of water. Now if I want to go to 18' I just pull off 4 more feet, one foot at a time. I have a piece of tape on the rod, one foot from the reel. Works for me. Lastly, I do like to have all my rods and reels the same length and brand so they all act the same all the time.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    I pretty much agree with Wilber, they're just a place to hold the line. Having said that, I prefer bait casting reels, the cheaper the better, EXCEPT FOR THOSE TINY KINDS (every one of those I've tried I wound up with the line going behind he spindle.) I found some "full size" bait casters on ebay for $20.00 apiece, so I use them. I turn my pole in the holders so that the reel is upside down. What I like is that I can pull off line very easily in one-foot increments so that I know close to exactly how deep my baits are. Hold up rod, bring the baits to the bottom and that is fourteen feet, then a pull off one foot to allow the distance from the tip of rod to top of water. Now if I want to go to 18' I just pull off 4 more feet, one foot at a time. I have a piece of tape on the rod, one foot from the reel. Works for me. Lastly, I do like to have all my rods and reels the same length and brand so they all act the same all the time.
    Well said.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Underspin closed face...(with the triggers cut off short)...

I feel that baitcast and spinning reels subject the spooled line to constant UV sunlight degradation...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 03-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for spinning reel I got these Eagle Claws from Grizzly Jig for 12.95 each. They have no back play and the handles fold easily for storage. I have been very happy with them so far an they are not very big.

Name:  Eagle Claw Reels 1.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  Eagle Claw Reels 2.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  57.4 KB
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

rnvinc (Rickie) makes an excellent point about uv rays affecting the line; and in fact, my favorite rods for one-poling are a 9' and a 10' with closed faced spinning reels that have a trigger (the kind you pull up on to release line). However, when spider-rigging I still like the bait casters because of the ease of getting to the right depths. I buy the "big" spools of 6# test line that have about 1,900 yards, specifically the Mr. Crappie hi vis. Right before Bass Pro stopped carrying Wally's stuff I bought 3 spools of it!!! Also, since my eyes aren't what they use to be I use lots of line to tie knots Shoot, here I am rambling on again, just can't help it because if I'm not crappie fishin I'm talking about it, sorry.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!