Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new to crappie fishing

moonnette2005 Guest

Default new to crappie fishing

can anyone tell me if the spawn in the discovey bay area has happend yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there moonette2005, Welcome to the board, you will learn a lot about crappie fishing here. Where in the state are you located. I'm not familiar with Discovey Bay...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I think they should start to hit now at Discovery Bay.. i remmeber fishing there and accidently catching a crappie there.. this was many years ago but it was about this time because i remember thinking about how school year was ending soon...

moonnette2005 Guest

The reason I"m asking is, my father and I went out on friday(5-5-06)and tried dipping jigs around the docks but caught nothing until we gave up and started trolling 1/2 oz. rattle traps for stripers about 20" off the docks and instead of stripers, we ended up with 8 crappie, all over 2 lbs. Are these fish in a prespawn pattern, and if so what water temp. should Ilook for? Discovery Bay is in the West Delta regieon of the Bay Area.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow eight two pounders, spawn or no spawn that is a good day of fishin. Water temp should be around 60* How deep where you trolling? What time of day? Sunny/clowdy? What ever you were doing is what the fish wanted. right bait, time of day, right conditions. Keep doing it...

Gonefission
    Bill

moonnette2005 Guest

We were happy to say the least! We were fishing early morning in 10-12 feet. The baits, (Rattle Traps) were dragging bottom at times, and yes we will be going back this weekend. Hopefully the water temp. will be right. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

moonnette2005,
    This site might be handy for delta water temps.
    http://www.lauritzens.com/water/Water.asp
    .....lee s.