PDA

View Full Version : What is the best batteries for the money for a 24 V trolling motor?

Bronson
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I was considering getting the Optima (blue cell) batteries for my 24V trolling motor. I've heard others say they are not worth the extra expense. I know there's a couple of you out there that know a lot more about this and would appreciate your info. Any extra info why these are the best or why another brand you recommend is better would be appreciated. I've heard Delco might be a good one?

arkansasbowhunter
03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I use the big yellow one from walmart. Havent let me down yet.

yankee doodler
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I have two of the 34m blue tops in my boat and in my trailer. Yes they are pricey. The advantage is the spiral cell gel technology that gives them so much more life than a traditional plate technology. I'm going on 4 yrs. with both sets w/o an issue, but there are others that have good life and cost less, so for what it's worth.

CatFan
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I have two of the 34m blue tops in my boat and in my trailer. Yes they are pricey. The advantage is the spiral cell gel technology that gives them so much more life than a traditional plate technology. I'm going on 4 yrs. with both sets w/o an issue, but there are others that have good life and cost less, so for what it's worth.

The AGM technology is what lets them last longer. The spiral design makes them rugged and resistant to physical damage. It also makes them smaller capacity than other batteries in the same case size because the round cells waste space.

CatFan
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I was considering getting the Optima (blue cell) batteries for my 24V trolling motor. I've heard others say they are not worth the extra expense. I know there's a couple of you out there that know a lot more about this and would appreciate your info. Any extra info why these are the best or why another brand you recommend is better would be appreciated. I've heard Delco might be a good one?

I wouldn't even consider Optimas. They are overpriced for their capacity by a long shot. The spiral form is a negative for boating because it makes poor use of space, like a six pack in a cooler. Cabela's AGMs can get you 33% more capacity for $192 in a 31 if you want an AGM.

You can get over 200 minute RC in a group 29 for less than $100 at Walmart. I routinely get 4 or 5 years out of them.

Dutch552
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Duralast brand from AutoZone. Same battery as the WalMart house brand but with a better warranty.

yankee doodler
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
The AGM technology is what lets them last longer. The spiral design makes them rugged and resistant to physical damage. It also makes them smaller capacity than other batteries in the same case size because the round cells waste space.
Actually the spiral cell technology gives them more surface area than the standard AGM battery. I did mispeak tho. Optimas are NOT gel cell.
Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 7 (http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq7.htm#spiral)

Ragfly Jig Man
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I have had my Blue Top Optima for close to 5yrs now and not one bit of a problem. As said before they are pricey.

lward
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I've used both the optimas as well as a dozen different manufacturers. My advice, go to Wall Mart get either a class 27 or 29. Whichever fits best in your compartments. Plan on replacing them ever two years (no questions asked) and you will always maintain a fresh set of batteries at a reasonable price.

Ranger690
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Id say go to walmart, get two and keep them charged and topped off with the correct water. For a normal person, replace them in 5 years if needed.

Dayton

CatFan
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Actually the spiral cell technology gives them more surface area than the standard AGM battery. I did mispeak tho. Optimas are NOT gel cell.
Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 7 (http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq7.htm#spiral)

They waste all of the space between the cells, just like a 6-pack in a cooler. The spiral area is a very efficient design, but since you can't make a rectangular battery out of cylindrical cells, you waste the space around the cells. A 31 Optima only weighs 60lbs while a Diehard PM-1 weighs 75 in the same size.

Bronson
03-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Cabela's AGMs can get you 33% more capacity for $192 in a 31 if you want an AGM.
You can get over 200 minute RC in a group 29 for less than $100 at Walmart. I routinely get 4 or 5 years out of them.

CatFan, I thought I remembered you posting about this a year or two ago. I need a couple that can take care of a 24V trolling motor for at least 12 hours or more on a windy day. Which of the two you recommended would be able to go that long pulling a 20' fiberglass bass boat?

CatFan
03-14-2012, 06:06 AM
CatFan, I thought I remembered you posting about this a year or two ago. I need a couple that can take care of a 24V trolling motor for at least 12 hours or more on a windy day. Which of the two you recommended would be able to go that long pulling a 20' fiberglass bass boat?

You want the highest RC you can find. Go with a size 29 or 31. If you fish long days normally, the Everstart 29 will give you a long day at a reasonable price. The Trojan SCS-225 is more expensive, but has more capacity. If you routinely use them hard, they won't last but a year or two.

Bronson
03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info, my batteries seem to fine for 5-6 hours but then lose their juiice. When I start making longer trips and batteries aren't up to it, I'm switching. I don't fish as many all day trips as I used too but I want batteries strong enough to get me back to the dock if I'm a mile or two away at night. That's happened a time or two over the years. One time I was crappie fishing in the winter and quit right at dark. Big motor wouldn't hit a lick, had to use the trolling motor the rest of the way. Don't think it had another 50 yards left in her when I got back to the dock. Would have been a long night.

Got to admit, I had some good times in that old boat and motor though.

Backwaters
03-14-2012, 03:42 PM
The best bang for your buck is Cabela's AGM batteries. I sell Deka batteries which are some very good batteries, but their AGM's don't have the same capacity that the Cabela's brand has. I seen a few happy with Optima, but I've seen more that are not. If you have room for them, go with 31's.

Eager Beaver
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I would recommend Delco Voyagers. My last set lasted for 10 yrs and one was dead and one was still good. I replaced them both last fall. I am on the trolling motor most of the day and have never run out of power. I keep them charged up all the time with an onboard charger. I plug it in when I come off the lake. EB

CatFan
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
I would recommend Delco Voyagers. My last set lasted for 10 yrs and one was dead and one was still good. I replaced them both last fall. I am on the trolling motor most of the day and have never run out of power. I keep them charged up all the time with an onboard charger. I plug it in when I come off the lake. EB

You pay a lot of money for an Everstart with a different label on it when you get a Delco or an Interstate.

Breas
03-15-2012, 07:25 AM
The people at Wal Mart told me you are NOT supposed to top off batteries... even if they are low on fluid. They said to exchange them instead.

Rees Guide
03-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I am not pleased with the Optima, as far as Batts it depends on what your use is. I pull cranks with my trolling motor and run USA Brand 12v golf cart batts, they are awesome but pricey if you arent pulling. For normal use 29 or 31s will do the trick just fine. Wont have another Optima, need to warranty mine out.

CatFan
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
The people at Wal Mart told me you are NOT supposed to top off batteries... even if they are low on fluid. They said to exchange them instead.

Well if they are willing to exchange them, go for it. I wonder if my Ford dealer will do the same when my truck's gas tank is empty??? :)

kbaker
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I bought the big yellow one from Walmart also and I've had it sense 2002 and it finally went bad about a month ago. I was very pleased with it. I always kept it charged,even in the winter and checked the water level regularly.

Eager Beaver
03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
You pay a lot of money for an Everstart with a different label on it when you get a Delco or an Interstate.

As long as they last 10 years I don't care what name they put on them! :fish EB

Eager Beaver
03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
When I stored the boat over the winter I would take the batteries out of the boat and put in the heated garage. I charge them at least twice over the winter to keep them topped off. As soon as I get them in the boat I will plug the onboard charger in. EB

diehard
03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Was replaced all my batteries this week with Intersate SRM27 TROLLING and 27XHD STARTING. I got five years out of these same one and I used them Hard.

luvpt
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Same here....I have three of the 34M Optime blue tops going on three years. They will troll all day long two day's in a row without recharging....pulling a 20' triton!!!
They are worth the money for the peace of mind!!! Takes worrying about the battery out of the equation!!

Cherokee Ref
03-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Definitely agree with EagerBeaver. The AC Delco Voyagers are hard to beat. Boat came with them and first set lasted 12 years. Never heard of batteries lasting that long. Fully charge them after each day's use, then unplug them. I do not keep the onboard charger plugged in all the time, only until they are fully charged. Have always lasted all day.