Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best batteries for the money for a 24 V trolling motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best batteries for the money for a 24 V trolling motor?

I was considering getting the Optima (blue cell) batteries for my 24V trolling motor. I've heard others say they are not worth the extra expense. I know there's a couple of you out there that know a lot more about this and would appreciate your info. Any extra info why these are the best or why another brand you recommend is better would be appreciated. I've heard Delco might be a good one?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the big yellow one from walmart. Havent let me down yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the 34m blue tops in my boat and in my trailer. Yes they are pricey. The advantage is the spiral cell gel technology that gives them so much more life than a traditional plate technology. I'm going on 4 yrs. with both sets w/o an issue, but there are others that have good life and cost less, so for what it's worth.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post
    I have two of the 34m blue tops in my boat and in my trailer. Yes they are pricey. The advantage is the spiral cell gel technology that gives them so much more life than a traditional plate technology. I'm going on 4 yrs. with both sets w/o an issue, but there are others that have good life and cost less, so for what it's worth.
    The AGM technology is what lets them last longer. The spiral design makes them rugged and resistant to physical damage. It also makes them smaller capacity than other batteries in the same case size because the round cells waste space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I was considering getting the Optima (blue cell) batteries for my 24V trolling motor. I've heard others say they are not worth the extra expense. I know there's a couple of you out there that know a lot more about this and would appreciate your info. Any extra info why these are the best or why another brand you recommend is better would be appreciated. I've heard Delco might be a good one?

I wouldn't even consider Optimas. They are overpriced for their capacity by a long shot. The spiral form is a negative for boating because it makes poor use of space, like a six pack in a cooler. Cabela's AGMs can get you 33% more capacity for $192 in a 31 if you want an AGM.

You can get over 200 minute RC in a group 29 for less than $100 at Walmart. I routinely get 4 or 5 years out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Duralast brand from AutoZone. Same battery as the WalMart house brand but with a better warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The AGM technology is what lets them last longer. The spiral design makes them rugged and resistant to physical damage. It also makes them smaller capacity than other batteries in the same case size because the round cells waste space.
    Actually the spiral cell technology gives them more surface area than the standard AGM battery. I did mispeak tho. Optimas are NOT gel cell.
    Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 7

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my Blue Top Optima for close to 5yrs now and not one bit of a problem. As said before they are pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both the optimas as well as a dozen different manufacturers. My advice, go to Wall Mart get either a class 27 or 29. Whichever fits best in your compartments. Plan on replacing them ever two years (no questions asked) and you will always maintain a fresh set of batteries at a reasonable price.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Id say go to walmart, get two and keep them charged and topped off with the correct water. For a normal person, replace them in 5 years if needed.

Dayton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast