PDA

View Full Version : favorite fillet knife/ or electric knife?

Smoltz
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
i have always used a traditional fillet knife. the knifes are not that great and dull quick making you have to resharpen often or making filleting a chore. so whats your favorite knife? or electric knife? i have never used electric before? is it alot nicer or easier with electric?? im sure they dont need replaced that often.. but are they easy to control on smaller fish like crappie, perch and gills?

dkb23
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh boy.....here we go! I'll start it off. American Angler electric fillet knife. Who's next?:popcorn

gone fission
03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Wonna them 8 dollar black and decker electric carving from rural king works just as good, then cut out rib cages with 4 inch fillet knife

joejv4
03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Got a 7" Rapala manual fillet knife, flexible and holds an edge well enough to get through a limit (25) of crappie. I usually give it a quick touch up on a steel before I start a batch of fish. Takes less than a minute to fillet a fish and I don't end up with guts and eggs all over my cutting board like I do when I tried an electric.

river scum
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Rapala

throwback
03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I use the electric Rapala with the cord. Works good for me. I know a couple of other guys I fish with that use them and like them.

jvg
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM
American angler

Bronson
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
I used to be a big American Angler fan but the last one I bought will probably be the last one I'll ever buy. Looks to be much cheaper made than the ones I used to get. The one before it only lasted a couple of months and when I took it apart I saw where the screws had worked out of it.

I saw where someone recommended buying one of the old ones from the 1960's. (I think it was called an EK1) My buddy used to have an old one and used it for over 20 years. I looked it up on ebay and bought one. Liked it so much, I bought another one for a back up. Cost 1/2 what the A.A. ones cost. Very satifised, bigger motor, stiffer blade. They really don't make them like they used too. Have bought several A.A. over the years. THAT'S THE PROBLEM!

I do use a small rapala knife to cut around the ribs.

Have also splurged and bought a real good German steel fillet knife from Williams Sonova (or whatever the name is) that is high quality and should last a long, long time.

Crappie 1
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Rapala-6" &11" As far as electric -Mr Twister for me. Have had it for years, never any problems. Cleaned lot's of fish.

NIMROD
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
No electris knives for me.

Kman
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM
they dont make one thats worth putting in a sack, slamming against a brick wall and throwing it in the river...none of them. I have bought MULTIPLE.....(you forget over the years and give them a second try or benefit of the doubt) MULTIPLE

American Angler- garbage
Rapala- Garbage
Mister Twister- (this is the one I currently have...Garbage)
Berkley- (garbage)
Black n Decker- Garbage
turkey carver from walmart- garbage

All of them are literal crap. They are made for guys that dont fish often. If you fish much at ALL, not everyday, just 5 or 6 times a month, they DO NOT MAKE ONE that will last you. Stop looking. Just buy the same garbage we all buy, curse it, and throw it away and get some more garbage next time.

Someone needs to make one pnuematic or maybe even just a better electric that will LAST, Id pay up to $300 for one. Somebody's missing out on a huge market with millions of fishermen.
As you can tell this isnt really a sore subject for me...LOL!

Andy1270
03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been through many fillet knifes and fought the dulling of the blade. I finally got me a Alaskan Guide fillet knife from Cabela's. It's made in the USA by Buck, and has a lifetime warranty. Also, you can send it back if it ever fails/dulls and they professionally fix or sharpen it. It's made out of the S30v material with a rosewood handle and nice leather sheath. I love it. It's the best fillet knife I've ever owned. Expensive, yes, but completely worth it.

I'd tried the Alaskan Knife company Steelheader, but their sheaths are terrible and I cut my hand once just pulling the knife out of the cheap plastic sheath. Their knifes are respectable, but they need quality leather sheaths.

Smoltz
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
wow, thats for all the replys! i really expected most guys to be using electric. i have only ever owned a small rapala and a buck. but the buck has a very still blade and dont flex much and i dont really care for it. maybe i will look into spending a little more on a quality knife. thanks for the help!

44mag
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Mister Twister, never had any trouble with it.
Just bought a Rapala cordless, really like it too.

feeshrman
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
x3
American angler

EnonEye
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Mister Twister

chap
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I have had a lot of luck with my MR. TWISTER. Have had quite a few different ones, but this one is holding up. Blades are around 10 bucks, been through about 5 sets in 7 or 8 years....

grits and gravy
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I got a berkley rechargeable for christmas and i love it. I can clean 50 fish and still had a good charge. Takes about 10 minutes to recharge and will hold a charge for a long time. I cleaned fish 3 days straight on the same charge and never slowed down. Dont like the blades but i put on a set from my mister twister and that fixed the problem. If i ever lose this one i will buy another just like it.

fishincrazy
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Electric. Cheapies from Rural King work just fine.

SLABDADDY1
03-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Rapala, but gets pretty hot with a lot of fish!

hair jig
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Rapala

ASHLAND HC
03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Mr. Twister....they dont last forever but dont really matter much, when it breaks, go to Academy and spend another $25 for the next.

Cray
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh boy.....here we go! I'll start it off. American Angler electric fillet knife. Who's next?:popcorn

X3 or 4

HLLeonard
03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Been using electric knife so long I doubt I could clean a fish with a traditional fillet knife..... Don't know why anybody would use anything else but I guess whet ever you are used to.... I agree, a cheap electric kitchen knife, half the price and works well and I suspect last just as long, can't say for sure because that's all I ever used.

BJH
03-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Had to get a Machete for these fish in Texas!!!!!Rofl

monklej
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Traditional fillet knife for smaller fish like bluegill. Larger crappie, bass, walleye, & catfish I use a Mister Twister electric. Old one lasted 20 yrs. Just replaced it last summer.

kbaker
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I use mister twister but I don't like it very much. I think i'm gonna try the rapala everyone keeps mentioning.

fatdad46
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Mr. Twister gets my vote.

Fins a Floppin
03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Berkley Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Fillet Knife -- I like the fact that the cord is not in the way. It has great power and very smooth!

fishbaskett
03-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I chimed in on one of these the other day and talked up Wal-Mart type carving electrics. I now must recant what I said. We have a couple that we have filletd a lot of fish with(hundreds). They let me down today. 2 knifes, 75 white bass and one yellow bass. One knife quit at about 2/3rds done the other left us with 4 fish which we finished with a off brand standard kitchen fillet knife with a short balde. The one I took apart had heated up the contact at the trigger and melted the plastic as well as burned a hole in the contact. They are just not designed for hour after hour continuoius use. I did those last four like Nimrod does his crappie, cutting the meat off the ribs as you work your way down the fish. Gonna try to find me a real electric fillet knife now, not a housewife's carver.

blairarnold
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
American Angler with the shark or thin blades. I've got one that's about 15 years old and one about 5 years old, and they are going strong. I've seen 2 different guides strip the gears or burn up Mr. Twisters on seafish, and both finished up with my AA with no problem.

fishbaskett
03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Last post for me on this subject. Had 50 white bass and 25 yellow bass yesterday. Got an American Angler "Saltwater" :biggrinand a Mister Twister. Brother-in-law used the Twister, I used the Angler. Hands down the Angler, very sharp, of course, they were new. I really liked the thin blades for cutting the dark meat off. Blades are long, and the knife had plenty of power. About $32.50 at Wal-Mart.

luvpt
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
During the few times I have used an electric I prefered the Mister Twister....but the blades get dull too quick. I think they are made of pot metal in China!!!! Most of the time I use either my trusty Russell fillet knife from the 60's with the 9.25 inch carbon steel blade or a custom knife with 7.5 inch 440C blade which was made by Kenny Henschel back in the 70's. Both are kept razor honed and extremely sharp. I can clean at least 30 slabs with either one before touching them up on the diamond stone. They leave less meat on the bone and are just as fast as the electrics if you are practiced up.

Kman
03-21-2012, 08:54 AM
During the few times I have used an electric I prefered the Mister Twister....but the blades get dull too quick. I think they are made of pot metal in China!!!! Most of the time I use either my trusty Russell fillet knife from the 60's with the 9.25 inch carbon steel blade or a custom knife with 7.5 inch 440C blade which was made by Kenny Henschel back in the 70's. Both are kept razor honed and extremely sharp. I can clean at least 30 slabs with either one before touching them up on the diamond stone. They leave less meat on the bone and are just as fast as the electrics if you are practiced up.

I have been wanting to learn this technique myself. I watched some deck hands in Delacroix, LA clean 125 speckled trout we caught in 30 minutes with a fork and a dexter russell filet knife and it was awe inspiring to even witness. Unreal what these guys could do with a blade. Now, they said there was no use in sharpening them. They use them till they are dull and throw them away since they only cost $20 or so. However, they were being PAID to clean fish and this was just an overhead expense that was figured into their cost. But I have tried with a regular blade and Im gonna loose a thumb eventually. I cant get the amount of "force" down pat when I run the blade down the spine without cutting through or not putting enough pressure to work the knife without "see sawing" it. Tips?

luvpt
03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
It takes a sharp knife and PRACTICE. Don't get in a hurry... Go slow until you learn the technique perfectly and the speed will come naturally. There are lots of instructional videos on Youtube that are good.

Slab Slayen
03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
No way id go electric! To messey. Cant feel the bones threw the handle like you can with a nice browning fillet knife. Rapala is a good one to. I run myne threw a rapala sharpner then run it threw a berkley ceramic sharpner to perfect the edge and it stayes sharp threw 40 fish.................

IMFSHN
04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
My favorite "go to" knife is a Leech Lake knife (http://www.leechlakeknife.com), made here in Minnesota. An edge to go through the scales and the long end to fillet the meat. Funny thing is, when up in Alaska watching the guide cut up my halibut (http://www.bottomlinecharters.us/), they were using Leech lake knives as well. I asked the captain how he liked his Minnesota knife, and he said they were in MN with a booth at the sportsman show an picked one up to try. They've used them ever since and were even selling them there at their place. I talked to the 1st mate year back if they were still using them, and he said they weren't? Hmmmm...I asked him what they found that worked better, to which he said "nothing, but since they not only worked well, but looked great, they seemed to disappear, and since they were a bit spendy..."

I have Cutco Fillet knife with extending blade - nice, but I really don't have the need here in MN, A I don't keep anything big enough to give it a workout.

A friend has a Brown and black handled 9 inch Browning Featherweight Fillet Knife that I may give a shot.

"A man must believe something-I believe I'll go fishing."

heavyfoot
04-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Herter's

OkieDon
04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
I know a few guides and they all use American Angler electric knives. They probably clean more fish in a week than a lot of folks do in an entire year. Personally, I've had a Rapala cordless for a few years and love it unless I have over 80 fish to clean, by then I've run both batteries down and it takes a while to recharge them. I've heard that the new Lithion Ion battery powered Rapala's last longer and cost less.

After watching this video, I might go back to a normal fillet knife! Filleting Crappie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8BvdvJFAug)

fishbaskett
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I stand corrected, in a previous post I said I had an American Angler, it is not. It a Mister Twister, Saltwater, Pirahna.

Hiler
04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Mr.Twister for me also.Cleaned a lot of fish with it .

WhoDatChristian
10-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Good discussion boys. Is there a specific model of the Dexter Russell knife I should look at? I've seen 7,8, or 9 inches. Thank you.

eagle 1
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Wall-Mart---------Rapala but do bream by hand after scaleing :twocent .

Gomer Snerd
10-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Whichever one the old lady prefers to use.

Bob/MN
10-31-2013, 09:29 AM
I am on my second American Angler. The down side both knifes get hot after after extended use.