Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: tried a new style of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tried a new style of fishing.

I went to Beaver Sunday and tried a new style of kayaking for crappie. I started out long lining with 1/8 oz jigs cast out and trolling 1 mph using 4 poles. I had the Lowrance going as I would troll over something I would throw out a marker. Then I would pull in 2 of my poles and circle around and ease up on the submerged structure and jig it. I would usually catch another crappie or two then mark the top on my gps. Put out my 4 poles and start up again. I caught a good limit and found about 6 or 8 good tops in the lake. I caught about half of my crappie jigging and half long lining. It's a great way to catch fish and find lots of tops in the lake for future fishing.
    Name:  112.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  85.7 KBName:  113.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  30.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to you at the ramp on saturday. I was in the red ranger. Glad you found some fish. They were on fire up the river. I caught my limit and culled fish for 2 hours. Left with 15 fish and 10 were over 14 inches. Was a very good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mb4850 View Post
    I went to Beaver Sunday and tried a new style of kayaking for crappie. I started out long lining with 1/8 oz jigs cast out and trolling 1 mph using 4 poles. I had the Lowrance going as I would troll over something I would throw out a marker. Then I would pull in 2 of my poles and circle around and ease up on the submerged structure and jig it. I would usually catch another crappie or two then mark the top on my gps. Put out my 4 poles and start up again. I caught a good limit and found about 6 or 8 good tops in the lake. I caught about half of my crappie jigging and half long lining. It's a great way to catch fish and find lots of tops in the lake for future fishing.
    Name:  112.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  85.7 KBName:  113.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  30.7 KB
    Awesome. I love to troll..but I can only manage two rods!

Post Thanks / Like

That is plenty. Only in open water will I use 4 poles.

Post Thanks / Like

im still somewhat primitive in that i dont use a fishfinder, i usually study a topo map first and go off of any submerged structure i can find. my sweet spot is a tree i found that fell into 15 feet of water on a steep bank. i only use one rod and its an UL ugly stick. most times i go with an unweighted hook with either a minnow or minnow type plastic. i let it freefall and when i notice the line move i have him.