Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville Sunday afternoon in the rain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Sunday afternoon in the rain

Hey Gang.

Here's a report from the Camp Branch C Dock today and a little from the main "pay" dock.

First the pay dock, there were several guys over there and they looked like they were catching a fair amount of fish. Saw at least 2 maybe 3 guys cleaning fish.

As for C dock, it was productive today, between "Fisherman's Daughter" and myself, we caught 23 o4 24. There were a lot of dinks though. We only kept 10" and above so we kept 3. We'd have had maybe 5/6 if we'd kept 9 and above. Plus we tossed back a couple of sows full of eggs so they might reproduce.

Details. I used blue and white. I've forgotten the exact name of the jig, but one of you guys recommended it to me when I was on my Rogers trip a couple weeks back. My wife used her "tomato seed" jigs. Basically dark red and green with a short tail. We both tipped with crappie nibbles. Mine were pink, her's chartreuse.

Fish were typically a crank or two, maybe three from the bottom. They bit fairly light. Occasionally we'd have one follow us up closer to the surface.

Another great thing for us today was finally taking possession of our lift, which has a nice storage box as well!! Gotta love that.

One ****ty thing......on my last cast I tried to shoot under the dock in one of my favorite places, I caught the dock. So I leaned over to free the lure, I got it, then slipped a bit (no I didn't fall IN JOE!!!) but I dropped my rod and reel. The reel, purchased new yesterday, landed on the end of the bail with the roller, and broke. Damn!!! I'll be on the phone to Pflueger ASAP ordering part # 22!!!

All in all a great day, only tarnished by the bad fortune at the end. It was great to catch fish again.

Tight lines everyone! The fish are back!

Bruce

PS. My boat is out of dry dock and outfitted with a new trolling motor and fish finder. All I need to do is finish getting the gunk off the hull and go chat with my friend Ken at K&S about ordering and customizing a new cover. BTW, if anyone needs ANY cover work or upholstery or even carpet. This guy is amazing AND cheap. He's getting me the same cover as Cabela's would for 30 bucks less and then fitting it around my trolling motor etc.
    Last edited by embo_9; 03-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch for the report Bruce! Sorry to hear about the new reel .. that's a bummer. Really glad to hear you found some fish though and that Ole' Smitty is showing some life. It shouldn't be long and it'll be on fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! Uncovered the boat today, charged batteries and put new line on the poles. If all goes as planned, Smithville next Sunday!
    Work so I can fish and fish so I can survive work.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

nice report man, sounds like a pretty good day, well sept for the rod thing... hope you get the boat back real soon... congrats

Post Thanks / Like

Great detailed report, thank you. Sorry 'bout the reel though.

Post Thanks / Like

WTG, Bruce....glad you got to feel the tug! Better days ahead for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job, Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reort Bruce!!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Good report ! I'm going to get my boat out in a few days . I might try for Walleye , but I usually get distracted by Crappies .

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got in to some but sorry to hear about the reel. RHill sent one back to Pflueger last year to fix and to his surprise they sent him a brand new one for only the cost of shipping. Thanks for the report!
    Scott - KC Northland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast