Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing in the Rain in Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Fishing in the Rain in Texas

With the recent rains and cold snap, I really didn't have high expectations for yesterdays trip. However, I had a kitchen pass and didn't have anything better to do so I decided to hit Lewisville. I spent the first 1.5 hr. fishing my good spots having no luck.

Then I headed to the ramp to pick up my buddy Raptor. After discussing the poor fishing on our good holes, we decided to do something different and went searching for new water. I'm glad we abandoned our non producing good spots because we ended up finding some good fish and new spots.

We found our new areas graphing water 8 - 12 ft deep. This area had three small brushpiles in a stretch of about 30 yds. We turned the nose of the boat into the wind and began deploying rods. Before we could get all 8 rods out, Raptor caught a good one.

We spent the next two hours spider rigging that area. Then we wanted to see if we could reproduce our pattern some where else. We moved locations and found a stretch with two piles in slightly deeper water 13 - 14'. Wasn't long until "bingo...fish on".

At the end of the day, we managed 16 keepers. Pattern of the day was spider rigging 8 - 14 feet deep. While we did catch fish on cover, we also caught fish between cover so they weren't really tight to it.

We trolled minnows and jigs on my new 14' BnM BGJP rods. Minnow rigs were 1/4 oz. Capps and Coleman. Jigs were 1/8 and 1/4 oz rigged with LFT Baby Shads Bluegill, Chartruese Glo and Violet Shad.

All in all it was a good day. Sorry I didn't get any shots of Raptor since it rained on us the whole time during our trip. I had to wait and take photos at the house when I finally got dried out. Here are a couple of crappie cell phone picks. On second thought, perhaps it's the ugly dude in the photo and not the camera at all.

BnM Poles *** Lake Fork Trophy Lures *** Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day even in the rain.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

At least you guys are out of the drought, if only partially. How are the lake levels now?

Nice looking fish; ugly dude.
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Most all the lakes in North Texas are back close to normal with the exception of Lavon which is still 4 ft. low. Lavon was down 13 ft. at one point. That is where Collin County towns and businesses get their water so it was in bad shape especially since they didn't pull water from Texoma to Lavon due to the zebra mussels.
    BnM Poles *** Lake Fork Trophy Lures *** Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime