Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whats Your Best Crappie Trip?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats Your Best Crappie Trip?

Hey there Crappie kings,

I was talking the other night with a buddy of mine about my all-time best Crappie Fishing trip. (He is building his 1st brush pile and needed motivation.) I'm primarily a saltwater fisherman here in Galveston, TX, but I do love making 2-3 trips a year to Toledo Bend in East,TX. I don't get to do it near enough, but here is my best trip.

It started off 3 months prior when I drove 3 1/2 hours to go drop a brush pile. I located a BIG tree along the bank and ended up dropping it in about 18'of water not far from the marina we stay at. I was in college on my Spring Break and towed my boat. My friends were not going to arrive until the following day. I grew up doing lots of crappie fishing at night with my father - who has since passed away. We would Bass fish all day, and crappie fish at night.

I pulled up on my crappie hole and set out (4) Styrofoam lights. I had about 6 dozen minnows,12 pack of beer (Not the brightest thing to do) and a cd full of good tunes. Within an hour I had thousands of minnows circling my boat. I knew then it was a matter of time before the crappie showed up. I remember watching the depthfinder show more, and more, and more crappie. It was a perfect night. Light SE winds, 75 degrees, clear skys, full moon. I started off with 4 lines all with minnows at different depths. The bite progressively got better and better. Within 2 hours I had right at my limit at the time of 50. I honestly couldn't believe how good it was. I couldn't keep the jig in the water more than 10 seconds before it got slammed. All I could think about was how thankful I was my parents took me Crappie fishing when I was young. I do know my Dad was up in heaven saying " WOOOOO Crappie it's a JUBILEE" He loved Crappie fishing and that was his favorite saying. It couldn't have been any better. I was on Spring Break, Ace'd all my exams the week prior, enjoying cold beverages, perfect weather, listening to my favorite tunes, and catching Crappie one after another. The only thing that would have been better, is if I wasnt along and had my buddies and now wife with me. After I counted my 50 crappie, I began catch and release for another 2 hours. I know many of you have caught limits after limits, but this trip couldn't have been any better for me.

What's your best crappie trip? It doesn't mean you caught a limit or won a tournament, but you enjoyed the most for whatever reason.

Wooooo Crappieeeeeeee

Post Thanks / Like

best trip i had was back in 88. i was told about a hot bite on a private lake by the owner. he said he was the only one that fished it and commonly pulled 20"ers. next day i took him up on his offer. i drove back and splashed the boat in at dawn and was on the fish second cast! couldnt believe the hogs i was catching and releasing. about 10:00 i hear girls laughing and splashing around. around the point, to my suprise, i see about 2 doz. naked girls! well one seen me looking through my binocs and alerted the pack. they waved me over. when i got to the dock they were all around the boat. turns out the farmers property is shared by an all girls college. they talked me into coming ashore and sharing their beer and sandwiches, i couldnt say no. about that time i woke up, to the sound my drag being pulled from my reel. a nice carp of 15#s.

really there is no way i could pick just one trip. waaaaaay too many memories of pals n specks.

Post Thanks / Like

Three years ago I took my vacation in october. I didnt want to drive the whole time and wanted to do some fishing. I stayed home and fished my home lake, cherokee lake in tennessee. I put my boat in and started cranking. Over a weeks time I caught loads of big crappie, loads of largemouth and even caught a double, a black crappie on the front hook and a white on the back. I caught several big bass and didnt go further than a mile from the ramp. No boat gas was spent, I whacked them all week on the first thing I tied on and got to sleep in my own bed! Cheapest, most memorable and RELAXING vacation in a years. At the end of the week that crankbait was trashed, paint was gone. I still have it and every time I see it I grin.

Post Thanks / Like

The last one I went on is.
    Mr. Bus Driver

Post Thanks / Like

The last one and the next.

Post Thanks / Like

About 5 or 6 years ago on Sardis, 3 of us caught 90 in 90 minutes on one top...need to find that picture and scan it

Post Thanks / Like

Three years ago on woods caught our limit in about 45 min. less than 100 yards away from the boat dock never even started the big motor. We were catching doubles and triples every pass with only four rods out. Great time.