Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Amended Senior Hunting/Fishing License Bill Goes to Senate

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amended Senior Hunting/Fishing License Bill Goes to Senate

Updated: 3/9/12

Amended Senior Hunting/Fishing License Bill Goes to Senate

Amended bill gives seniors two options for discounted hunting/fishing licenses

The Senate Natural Resources Committee today amended Senate Bill 314 and sent it to the full Senate. Earlier this year, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) asked the Kansas Legislature to consider eliminating the hunting and fishing license exemptions for persons 65 years of age and older. The committee held hearings on the bill on February 17 and March 1.

The state’s wildlife and fisheries programs are funded by license/permit fees and a federal match from the excise tax paid by hunters and anglers on equipment they buy (these revenues can only be used to fund wildlife and fisheries programs; they cannot be used for state parks). The state’s share of the federal excise tax is based on the number of hunting and fishing licenses sold. Removing the senior exemption or charging seniors a reduced fee allows Kansas to capture the federal excise tax for seniors who hunt and fish. The amended bill would give senior residents two options for buying discounted hunting/fishing licenses. Either option would bring federal excise taxes back to Kansas, and help the agency achieve a more stable and consistent revenue stream.

Under one option, seniors could purchase a lifetime combination senior hunting/fishing pass, which would likely cost $40.00 (excluding a vendor and convenience fee). The agency believes this is the lowest amount the department could charge and still safely claim the federal matching funds – amortized over 18 years per pass. The cost would be set by the Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission through a change in regulation, and the amount could not exceed one-eighth of the fee for a regular lifetime combination hunting/fishing license.

The second option would be for seniors to purchase an annual half-price hunting, fishing or combination hunting/fishing license up to the age of 75, with no license required for those 75 years of age and older. Under the current pricing structure, the senior annual hunting and fishing licenses would be $9.00 each, and the senior annual combination hunting/fishing license would be $18.00 (excluding a $2.50 vendor and convenience fee for each license).

Post Thanks / Like

Not too bad.Like the $40 lifetime offer.I am curious if it is better to buy yearly when it comes to the match for the state,or does it make any difference at all?Do they collect more for yearly or is it the same?I was thinking of getting a lifetime but don't mind buying yearly. Thanks Mike B.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

I think given the way things are now, this is a fair option. Will be interesting to see how those that favor entitlements respond.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels70 View Post
    I think given the way things are now, this is a fair option. Will be interesting to see how those that favor entitlements respond.

OK I'll bite. Rofl It's not too bad.But I will say I was not in favor of this,because a lot of times things like this are the 1st baby step that leads to something even bigger.Once everyone has accepted this change and it becomes the norm,then there will be more to follow.Kinda like gas prices.We all know every spring the cost of gas will rise no matter what because there will be more demand.That used to happen at the start of May.But these day's as you can see it's starts to climb in March and anytime throughout the year.Just say'n don't be surprised if everyone's cost will be inflated next or maybe the age lowered to 12 or something.JMHO.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish387 View Post
    OK I'll bite. Rofl It's not too bad.But I will say I was not in favor of this,because a lot of times things like this are the 1st baby step that leads to something even bigger.Once everyone has accepted this change and it becomes the norm,then there will be more to follow.Kinda like gas prices.We all know every spring the cost of gas will rise no matter what because there will be more demand.That used to happen at the start of May.But these day's as you can see it's starts to climb in March and anytime throughout the year.Just say'n don't be surprised if everyone's cost will be inflated next or maybe the age lowered to 12 or something.JMHO.
    My previous response was not intended to start another war. I probably should have worded it differently but when it comes right down to it there seems to only two schools of thought on this issue. One side feels they deserve the break and the other side thinks everyone should pay.

I agree with you on where this is most likely heading. I have thought the same thing about the price of fuel for several years now. Jack it way up there and let people get smokin mad over the price and then drop it 1/2 of the amount it rose to calm everyone down. Do this 4 or 5 times and it doesnt take long before the public thinks they are getting a bargain at $2.50 a gallon.
    The same thing could happen here with the license requirements. Once something becomes the norm it is much easier make things appear as though we are getting a good deal.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

knowing i can comprehend part of the story very good point keith that bein said the way i figure they say there is a 1.5 mil shortfall and the state has a budget of 465 mil the way i figure thats bout 1/3 of 1 percent on my meager retirement income that would be like me giving up my fountain drink bout everyday not gonna do it get real ks. if you have a shortfall raise the tax on alcohol or something you can get some money from or maybe do like us ole guys have done and live or spend within your means......?