Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: PowerPro Braided Line for Spinning Reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attn: PowerPro Braided Line for Spinning Reels

Opening this up for comment and discussion. Are the features named out below really necessary? Are these features worth the money? Is there a business connection between PowerPro and Shimano? Anybody used these reels.

I've been using PPB and other braided for several years and am pretty satisfied with PPB. However, never went to the PP website and looked at specs, knots and general info for PPB. So, I did and found something interesting concerning backlash, loops, and tangles. From the website: "PowerPro will outperform monofilament and other super lines because of the EBT process. Spinning reels equipped with the Propulsion Line Management System are ideal for use with PowerPro as the small loops thrown off the spool minimize backlash, loops and tangles. For the best PowerPro spinning reel experience look for Propulsion equipped spinning reels that also utilize the Aero Wrap II Oscillation for the best line lay possible." Off I go researching on the web and have many, many hits for ... Shimano. Spent a few hours going through Shimano spinning reels to find those that have the two features above. The least expensive, Saros F 1000 model, with a MSRP of $129 has Propulsion feature, but not Aero feature. The next jump is to the Stradic CI4, 1000 model with MSRP of $199. Prices go up from there for other models. What the ....

Oh, looks like the Sahara has propulsion too and msrp of $79

Saros F Saros F

Stradic CI4 Stradic CI4
    Last edited by CrappMaster; 03-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if there's a relationship or not, but as braid has become more popular, it makes perfect sense that reel manufacturers would build in features that will maximize braid performance.

FWIW, Shimano and Daiwa have had the best oscillation systems for at least twenty years. All the other manufacturers have been playing "catch up", IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappMaster View Post
    Are the features named out below really necessary? Are these features worth the money?
    I think so. Better tackle equals better performance. I couldn't tell you how many "line twist" threads and "how do you spool a spinning reel" threads I've read here and on other forums. You can eliminate at least 90% of spinning reel problems by just paying a little more. You don't have to pay $700 for a Stella, though. The less expensive models are great, too.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my PowerPro Braid on a Shimano Spirex 2000 reel, and I haven't had any problems with it (that weren't caused by me, anyway Rofl )

According to this website page : PowerPro.com it would appear that PowerPro IS owned by Shimano Inc. !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    According to this website page : PowerPro.com it would appear that PowerPro IS owned by Shimano Inc. !!
    Now that you mention it, that makes sense. Larry Dahlberg is sponsored by Shimano. He switched to Power Pro a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I use my PowerPro Braid on a Shimano Spirex 2000 reel, and I haven't had any problems with it (that weren't caused by me, anyway Rofl )

... cp
    LOL, should have seen that. No wonder they are calling out specific features for *Shimano*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappMaster View Post
    LOL, should have seen that. No wonder they are calling out specific features for *Shimano*
    As I said:

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    ... it makes perfect sense that reel manufacturers would build in features that will maximize braid performance.
    If you're Shimano and you own Power Pro, do you really want Daiwa to build the best reels for handling Power Pro?

BTW, Daiwa has awesome oscillation systems!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used PPB for a while on a couple of different reels with no inherent side effects(like pappy said, that weren't caused by me). I think the small diameter and the hi vis put it close to the top of the heap. I have some old stren hi vis on now that just isn't small enough, and loops over the eyes now and then. Much more hands on to use. Now I just need to find some PPB in hi vis yellow when I have a few bucks in the pocket.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshal ( Mr Crappie) has some good spinning reels we have used these with PowerPro the 4# dia line for crappie fishing work great no issues so far might want to check them out.Grizzly jig co.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Just started using PP hi vis this year and love being able to feel the thump even when fishing in high winds with a large bow in the line. One problem I had was I was using a loop knot and the line would get caught at the eye crimp and pull through when I had a fish on. Now I tie my knot tight to the eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast