Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cooking Size

allflyrod Guest

Default Cooking Size

How small is too small for good eating.

Post Thanks / Like

No such thing.It's a matter of personal preference.Smelt is about 3-11 inches and they are awesome eaters.Most people keep crappies in the half to 3/4 lb. range,yet others,larger.That also depends on geographical locations too.Walleye's I keep are mostly in the 14-18 inch range or fish up to 2 lbs.Pike mostly up to 10 lbs for steaking them out and smaller pike for pickeling.Bluegills I keep mostly are between 5-8 inches for eaters.

Everybody is different.You'll have your preferences as you catch more.Good luck and good eatin'!
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome as I see your NEW to the site... Any size is good eating... Good Luck on future fishing trips.
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

allflyrod Guest

Thanks fellas. Crappie never get very big here in northern Colorado, I guess its a good thing size doesn't really matter.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it's a personal preference in accordance to what size fish your waters hold. If I'm hankering for a mess of fresh fish naturally I'll hang onto the fillet sized fish for the Mrs. and the daughter but me and my son actually prefer the whole friers. I'll keep some hand sized if I'm planning a fish fry.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.