Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blueberry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Blueberry

Got off work at 5pm and was making my first cast by 5:10. I started at the SW shore and worked my around most of the lake. The largemouths are setting on beds already. I seen 4 or 5 beds with males guarding them. No eggs in any of them so I think the bass have just moved up shallow. I left the bass alone but it was neat to watch the males just look at you and not move an inch as I casted to the pads and walked along the bank.

Here and there I would get nibbles from what I think were small trout. Just tapping the jig and letting it go. Made a far cast out to the edge of some pads and the bobber went straight down and didn't return so I set the hook! It's a little 8" male crappie. Cast back to the same hole and it's bobber down again. I started catching them left, right and center for about an hour in that section of the lake. There were a few males in water that was only 5 inches deep. At one point I had the bobber set 4 inches above the jig and the males would crush it in the shallow pockets. None of the males look like they have been fanning nest so I think it's the very early stages of the spawn. The females I caught where all on the outside edge of the pads and even out in open water. All of the females were thick with eggs.

Hour and a half on the water: 16 males 6"-9" long and 8 females 8"-11". It's not anywhere near peak spawn but there are a few moving shallow to feed and look for nesting sites.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good time..... and i need to get over there :D . is there any places that are better then any other on the lake/pond? it all kinda looks the same to me.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

is it possible to launch a car topper or fish from a float tube?
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think you would want to put a car topper in there. there is a little walk down to the lake. i think a float tube would work good though.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report slab!!! was the jig tipped with anything or left bare? i might try to get there tomorow
    Last edited by urban_fisher1; 05-04-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yea i am goin there tomorow for sure basically, any special directions or places to park ? it looks like i would get off at the 148th exit and take that all the way down to the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

I went right past there today and looked the lake over thinking it would be a fun place to fish, it has a lot of tules or cat tails right?

Post Thanks / Like

I was out there at lunch. Walked all around the lake and saw a few bass up shallow. Why do some people have to be such pigs with litter? Over by the dock there was trash everywhere. Cleaned up as much as I could carry out. Couldn't do a whole lot for the crap in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

thats what it looks like from the satelite image that i got off of of google maps and lots of lilypads too. is it also known as larson lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it goes by Larson as well. I seen a 2 1/2lb female bass with its gills ripped out and tossed back into the lake. I don't know why someone would do that. I mean, at least take the thing home and eat it.

There are tons of logs, willows, etc in the water but the fish don't seem to relate to them. It really fishes more like a farm pond. They'll be out on the edges of the weeds or in the pockets. Seen a nice 3-4lb trout jump right next to a log yesterday though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast