Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic number, 55 degrees?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic number, 55 degrees?

I know that crappie usually spawn around 65 degrees, and we are way off from that. I think i mentioned before that last Saturday the water temp was between 38 - 40 degrees, depending on where i took it. Tested the same lake Tuesday afternoon and the water temp was between 46 - 49 degrees. It doesn't seem that the temp should drop too much with this latest cold front and by the early part of next week, temperatures should be in the mid 60's to 70 again Monday - Thursday before another cold front comes in late next week.

3 days of sunshine and temperatures in mid to upper 60s should push those water temps above 50 i hope. If so, and the wind isn't a factor, i might pick up a bag of minnows or box of worms and test the waters. This is my first pre-spawn season, so i am very excited!

*Tuesday*

Despite the wind, i did go fishing at Walnut Creek on the east side of the lake. The idea was to use the Carolina rig and get a better idea of how it works, and how to retrieve it. One thing i did find out, I LOVE Roadrunner jigheads. I couldn't believe how slow i could retrieve them and blade still spins, it was wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

I am finding it hard to believe that the shallow waters have yet to crack 50 degrees yet, even in the late afternoon!

I would hope that with Tuesday and Wednesday being close to 80 (personally i think we hit 80 or maybe a little above it) shallow water temps should crack the 50 degree mark and male panfish will be scouting out the shallow areas for spawning.

Post Thanks / Like

The warmest water temps will be on the Northwestern side of the lakes. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, well the spot i took it at was a 20' pit in the middle of a northwest cove.

The little hand is where i was and what spot i am talking about.

That area is flat and not well protected by a southwest or west wind, but is well protected from any north winds. Doesn't take much of a cast to reach the 15 - 20 foot depths. If your familiar with the Offutt Lake, you probably know what area this is.

I am taking my grandmother with me tomorrow since she won't be babysitting my nephew. Plan on fishing the south part of Walnut Creek on the north-side bank. I don't know what the water temps are over there as i haven't been there since Feb 25th. She won't be able to walk a long distance so the northwest side of Walnut Creek is out.

I was thinking about Lake Wehrspann, but once again the distance from parking to the bank might be a little too far for her.

Bucky's should have worms tomorrow and Cabelas said they will have minnows Thursday.
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 03-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the water temp is but made it out fishin yesterday. Was a slow start to the day but by evening the fish started to bite. We ended up catching 22 crappie in about an hour or so. Not the best bite in the world but not bad for the first outing of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Today it cracked 50 and 55. But the wind was just too much. Its no surprise that i saw many folks with no such luck. 1 little kid caught a small bluegill off the dock at Walnut Creek, but nothing else. Not even nibbles on the worms which were put 3 - 4 feet from the bobber.

But today was about getting my grandmother out of the house and taking her to different lakes and enjoying the weather.

The water was warmer on the west side of the lakes that the east side. Temps today ran from 50 to 56 degrees. The cooler temp was at Walnut Creek, where i could feel a cooler breeze coming off the lake with that southeast wind. There was 3 or 4 boaters out at Walnut Creek.

Tomorrow should be much less windy, under 10 mph with temps once again in the lower 80's. Same goes for Thursday when i should be able to pick up some minnows. So even though today didn't yield anything, i hope the next few days will be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that warm water sinks until after the turn-over. You'll know when the turn-over has occurred, that's when the fish are no longer in the deeps, they'll be mid level and up.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    Don't forget that warm water sinks until after the turn-over. You'll know when the turn-over has occurred, that's when the fish are no longer in the deeps, they'll be mid level and up.
    I did not know that. This is my first time fishing this early in the season. Normally i don't fish until June. This pretty much changes things. I guess i will have to watch the shallow waters for fish movement to tell whether or not they have moved to start spawning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    Uh....Doc, did you mean Cold water sinks?
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

Just as a little added info....it's going to be a little while yet before the crappie spawn, typically the first three weeks of May here in NE, remember photoperiod dictates fish spawns as it does things like deer rut etc. Other things like water temperature, wind, and weather fronts dictate diurnal movements and the actual moment females drop their eggs. They're like all other species of females, kinda picky when they're doing their thing. All though, just like myself I would continue checking shallow water periodically for feeding crappie as they will migrate diurnally from deep to shallow finding forage in the warming shallow water and then back to the deep water for refuge. It's in general, that these fish will migrate back and forth for some time, partially due to sporadic spring weather, until the males move shallow for the spawing ritual. You probably know as everyone does spring fishing can be some of the toughest due to the timing of fish coming and going into shallow water to feed. Good luck and I hope this early season treats you well.

My fishing out west has been interesting to say the least, usually this time of year the crappie are still very deep, but as this unusual spring continues I myself am finding fish relatively shallow, 15fow, in the reservoirs I fish. Although, as expected they have broken up from large winter shoals and a person can find small pods to even individual fish spread out. It's great weather, but I feel it makes for some difficult fishing.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast