Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What did I see?

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What did I see?

Been Crappie fishing quit a few years and I'm mostly a troller. I know about pushing and pulling(spider rig) Deep water fishing, slip float with minnows and dock shooting but yesterday I saw 2 guys doing something I've not a clue of what it's called or how it works. They were in a smallish alum. v-bottom boat. One guy was sitting on the front with his feet touching the water and a odd looking paddle in one hand. The other hand he had a 12-16ft rig with a float and fly type rig and was going along close to this rocky bank. The other guy had a rig the same and was dunking his as well from the back. What is this called?Does it work? Is it a lost art or am I a caveman? Thanks Tenncrappie

Post Thanks / Like

The guy paddling may have been "sculling" with a short paddle. I'm no expert at it, but the paddle is kept in the water and moved back and forth slowly in a circular or "s" pattern to propel the boat. It's very quiet and the guy was probably sitting over the bow with his feet dangling to facilitate easy paddling.

My son and I used to use a similar technique and gear with a canoe and cane pole to fish rip rap banks for bluegill. Moved real slow and quiet and dip a float and bait in and out as we moved along. Simple but effective.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely "sculling" !! It's biggest pro is that it's quieter than a trolling motor.

I used to be the one on the front of the boat, doing the sculling Rofl ... back in my early years. Flat bottom wooden rental boat with me in the front paddling, Grandparents in the middle/back benches. That method of getting around is definitely "old school" ... but it still works, if you're not trying to paddle a big honkin boat

... cp

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitley sculling the boat. although I never saw anyone have their feet in the water at the same time. That was how we always fished when i was young.

Post Thanks / Like

"Jiggerpolling"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle BS View Post
    "Jiggerpolling"
    Yep. You're very close to the fish, so the sculling paddle helps a bunch.

It's kind of an "old time" method that not many use any more. It does work, though. My dad got his biggest bass doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

We call it dabbling where I grew up. The sculling paddle will get you closer to the fish than any trolling motr can.