Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cabela's New Pro Guide PTC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabela's New Pro Guide PTC

Hi all. I've done some reading here but recently signed up and this is my first post.

I see Cabelas has a new rod out called the Pro Guide PTC - I'm guessing it might stand for panfish, trout, crappie. Has anybody been able to use one of these or handle them? I was thinking about ordering a 6'6" L for casting 1/32-1/16 oz jigs (typically with 2-3"twister tails) and maybe some light bobbers.

The problem with many lower cost light power rods is a lack of backbone. I bought a 7' UL rod (different brand) last year and it's very whippy without the backbone to set hooks well or steer fish around. Cabelas is saying these are quick, fast action rods. My hopes is they have a good solid backbone to go along with the quick tip.

If anyone has seen these rods what were your thoughts?

Thanks!

Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

Save your dime. I just sent one back in exchange for a B n M ultimate. The action is stiff as a board, and the rod needs about 2 more guides. I ordered a 7' Light action rod, and would say its easily a med action rod. It looks and feels like a 20$ rod.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a 7' 6" Cabela's Pro Guide Medium Light rod.. Fished with it today and caught 3 largemouths... Roughly 2 lbs. on each fish... Looks like you have a marlin on the end of the line... But, a great feel when setting the hook... I think it was the same fish? Gotta say that i do like the action on the rod.. Great for flippin' 1/16 oz. and 1/8 oz. jig heads. Nice and light.. $45 bucks at Cabela's.. More of an impulse buy..

Post Thanks / Like

There you have it, "different strokes, for different folks" I hated everything about the rod. But glad you like it. I guess you'll just have to get your hands on one and see what you think.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Hair Jigs, I think you might have a different rod. Cabelas also has a Pro Guide rod but the Pro Guide PTC is only available in L or UL powers. I think I might look elsewhere until some people get some use on them and I can read some more reviews. I never like being the guinea pig on new products if I can help it. The closest Cabelas is about 3 hours from me so I wouldn't be able to handle one before buying.

Thanks for your opinions, and if anybody else has one of these I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with BNM might cost a little more but great rods
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS