Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hobie outback mods

Post Thanks / Like

Default hobie outback mods

I finaly got my yak all rigged out the way i want it. Thanks to all for the ideals and advice.

After my first open water fishing trip in the wind i decided that the very first thing i would add was a anchor trolly.

Name:  2012-03-06 16.01.22.jpg
Views: 6237
Size:  38.4 KB

Next came the need for a cooler. After much searching i found one that would double as a cooler and a bait well. I found a plastic container that fit perfectly into one side of the cooler and cut the lid so i could just reach in and grab a shiner. With 30 shiners it does fine but with more i will have to add a mr bubbles air pump to keep them alive. The other side carries lunch.

Name:  2012-03-02 15.40.41.jpg
Views: 7757
Size:  44.2 KBName:  2012-03-02 15.41.46.jpg
Views: 4389
Size:  39.9 KBName:  2012-03-02 15.41.24.jpg
Views: 4105
Size:  35.9 KB

I picked up the humminbird 170 duel beam fish finder on ebay for cheap. Mounted it onto a RAM mounting arm and on the bottom added a 1" RAM wedge mount so it can slip right into the sail mast slot and still be removed when not needed. The transducer is siliconed to the hull as far forward as i could get it. I noticed that people have been putting the power supply in the forward compartment but with if you have to change the batteries while out on the water. My outback is very stabile but i still wouldnt want to have to get into the front hatch while in choppy water. This was easly avoided by running the power cable through the hull to the hatch right infront of my seat. I put the power supply in a water tight container and velcrowed that to the bottom of the removable storage compartment that was already there. This keeps it off the bottom and makes changed batteries faster and safer.

Name:  2012-03-05 15.52.35.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  43.7 KBName:  2012-03-05 15.53.38.jpg
Views: 3673
Size:  37.9 KBName:  2012-03-05 15.56.02.jpg
Views: 5229
Size:  30.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

So far the only thing i do not like about my outback is the forward rod tubes. Unless you add a set of rocket launchers they are almost usless. So i added 2 flush mount adjustable rod holders from Mr. Crappie.

Name:  2012-03-06 14.49.09.jpg
Views: 6444
Size:  45.5 KB

And lastly....my favorite mod.
    Name:  2012-03-06 16.01.58.jpg
Views: 3986
Size:  28.2 KB

Thanks again to all who answered questions and thank you crappie.com. Stay tuned to see my outback tricked out with green led underwater fishing lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I am kinda interested in a Hobie. After you get to do some fishing I would like to know how trolling two rods (longline) works for you with the Hobie.

Post Thanks / Like

Basserben she looks great. I bet your not as done as you think. I've been fishing from my Outback for over a year now and I'm still making changes. I guess it's all part of the fun. I still think for me I got the right kayak. Crappiecrazy I longline 4 poles with jigs from my Outback all the time. I also pull 4 poles cranking in the summer. I singlepole jig and spider rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some great mods, and mb4850 is right... the more time you spend fishing out of that thing, the more stuff you'll come up with to add onto it, or do to it. I fish from an outback rigged with a lot of accessories and one time when I was launching it at a local lake, a fisherman coming off the water (in a power boat) stared at the yak for a few seconds and then said "wow, that thing got GPS too?" Actually, I use a handheld, so technically the kayak DOESN't have GPS... but I do. I find the GPS comes in very handy when trolling crankbaits, from the Hobie... which is my favorite way to catch crappie during the summer months. The GPS unit allows me to mark spots where I see good cover on my fish finder... and also shows my trail so I know what water I've covered... and also helps me repeat the speed of my presentation once I figure out how the crappie are wanting it.

I'm currently cooking-up a new mod that is not yet ready for public reveal... but I'll post in this section once it is complete.

Post Thanks / Like

mb4850, do you think basserbens rod holders are in a good place for my two pole longlining? Is the mirage system pretty smooth? Ever had any problems with the mirage system? It looks like it would be hard on it(mirage system) taking it in and out of fishing holes. I fish lots of strip pits with no ramps.

Post Thanks / Like

seeing what you guys are doing with these yaks is amazing! My wife bought me one last year and i've fished out of it a few times and really love it. I used to own a skeeter bass boat and did alot of spider rigging using 12 ft rods and am wondering if that long of rod is possible from a yak. I am thinking about rigging with 3 bee ready rod holders because they are so low profile and very easy to get the rod from quickly. Basserben, I love the compact size of the fishfinder you have and the simple way it is powered, have you been able to use it yet ? and are you happy with it? any suggestions any of you have on my idea of spider rigging would be apreciated. thanks..................treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

what speed do you guys normally longline at, or spider rig? Is it hard to maintain that speed for extended periods of time ??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Im very new at the longlineing and spider rigging thing. I have always been a cast and move type of guy until i find a group of fish. Up until last month i never owned a crappie rod over 4 1/2'. Currently i use 2 10' rods in the holders and my casting rod. Where i fish is snag city and anymore lines out would cost me allot of lead and hooks. I've never trolled for crappie ether. Yes i used the fish finder last trip out and located a 28' deep hole where i caught my only keeper of the day, a 2 pound slab. My personal best. Very happy with the fish finder. The mirage drive is a true innovation. It is very smooth and very well built. Just this last trip i got caught on the east side of the lake when a strong wind from the southwest kicked up. I was seriosly concerned but i had no choice so i left the cove and headed stright across the lake. Time and time again id see a white cap wave coming and think "oh im about to get soaked" but the outback would split the wave on contact and the bow would pop right up with just a lil spray from the wind. With i nice and steady peddeling motion i made in across the lake just as dry when i started. I can not imagain haveing to paddel that far against the wind and waves.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of questions to answer here. Crazy his rod holders are very well located. It depends on what other equipment you plan on using but I would say for two poles his is just right. The mirage system is amazing. I fish with other kayakers and in the wind I can blow them away. You just have to use it to understand. As far as durable I've had mine over a year and it's done fine. If you are moving at 3 mph and hit a stump you can bend the post. I just pull it out and straighten it.
    Tree, I use 9' flyrods and have 10' jig poles also. Personally I don't think there is a need for longer poles on a kayak because there isn't the noise from a trolling motor. I find 9' 8wt. fly rods to be perfect, but that is just my personal preference.
    Jimp I can troll at 1 to 2 mph all day long (6 to 8) hrs and not even break a sweat. Mostly I longline at between .7 to 1.5 mph. I pull cranks between 1 and 2 mph. Spider rigging is between 0 and 1 mph. It depends on if your searching or have found fish.
    Basserin last year I went to Grenada lake in mississippi and pulled up to the ramp one morning and there were 3 guys with big motor boats standing on the ramp watching the swells rolling into the landing. I pulled up with my kayak and got out to talk to them. They were looking at me like I was crazy. I asked what they were doing and they said they were trying to decide where else to go because of the wind and waves. They were nice local guys and we chatted for a few minutes and I said well I'm going fishing. They couldn't believe it, I back in and off I went. They sat on the ramp for a while, I think to see when I was going to tip over. I proceded to the spot I wanted to fish and caught fish. I bobbed like a cork out on the lake, but was prepared for it. I'll say this again kayak fishing is not for everyone but I sure do enjoy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast