Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax worms in the south?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wax worms in the south?

Was over at my parents house the other day and dad brought in a bunch of dead wax worms for his bluebird feeder. I'd heard of mill worms and wax worms and maggots on TV from those guys ice fishing, but how well do they do for CRAPPIE fishing down here in NC? I know the bream (gills, sunnies, etc) will bite them but how are they for crappie? I think dad told me they were 9 dollars a 100 or 1000 (cant remember) for live ones from the bird feed store he went to. Worth it to tip a jig? I normally don't buy into things out of the norm, but I know they get used up north.

Post Thanks / Like

If ya got Black's they will work.

Post Thanks / Like

don't know about crappie but. That's my go to bait for trout fishing when everything else isn't working. There's one place I fish and it gets alot of traffic but very few keepers. There are alot of keepers there but they have seen almost everything thrown at them. a Meal worm or wax worm on a small hook the size of the worm usally use those small gold hooks that are about the size of a pea. fully hide that hook, 2lb fluoro, and no weight works everytime. I got one rod set up just for that rig take a while to figure out how to cast it far. but I use one of those yellow rods bass pro has fiberglass only cause it really needs to have that whip to it and a bps micro spinning reel.

That set-up is real fun on trout bream bluegill. hooked a small bass a while back well i was using it with worms to catch small bream for catfishing. that bass was one heck of a fight.

I might use that set-up for crappie this year cause i bet it would throw a jig a long ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Codyology View Post
    don't know about crappie but. That's my go to bait for trout fishing when everything else isn't working. There's one place I fish and it gets alot of traffic but very few keepers. There are alot of keepers there but they have seen almost everything thrown at them. a Meal worm or wax worm on a small hook the size of the worm usally use those small gold hooks that are about the size of a pea. fully hide that hook, 2lb fluoro, and no weight works everytime. I got one rod set up just for that rig take a while to figure out how to cast it far. but I use one of those yellow rods bass pro has fiberglass only cause it really needs to have that whip to it and a bps micro spinning reel.

That set-up is real fun on trout bream bluegill. hooked a small bass a while back well i was using it with worms to catch small bream for catfishing. that bass was one heck of a fight.

I might use that set-up for crappie this year cause i bet it would throw a jig a long ways.
    I've watched some guys fish behind me in NC in our "delayed harvest" waters (closed to catch and release and natural bait most of the year) for trout after I myself came through and caught 10 or 12 in a small stretch of stream, they absolutely wore em out.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

They are used anytime of the year in the north, it isn't just an ice fishing thing. The cost your quoting is probably $9.00 for a 1000. You could also throw some out, to bait the water.

Post Thanks / Like

They are awwsome on Crappie. I fished them behind a jig for the last 40 years. Nothing like a trout magnet and a maggot or wax worm for trout.

Post Thanks / Like

I use live wax worms all year long...for both black and white crappie. I've been known to catch a few crappie, lol. I tip my jigs with them instead of crappie nibbles, or minnows. Minnows are much costlier and harder to keep. I order mine from Jada bait, buying 4 of the 250 quantity cartons for $26 delivered....or $6.50 per 250. If I run into a bind and have to buy locally...I've seen them selling for $11 per 250...and many times they are split into 50 count containers for an even higher profit.

They are a little tougher to keep in the hot weather. Normal refridgerator temps are a little too cold for them.

I think they are much more common up north, due to ice fishing. My brother and his friend camped down at Toledo Bend several yrs back and mostly bass fished, but one day went out and caught some really nice crappie. Other people at the camp who were crappie fishing weren't catching squat. They were quick to investigate how these guys from up north could catch crappie. Most had never heard of using wax worms on their jigs. My brother made some friends by passing out a few home tied jigs and wax worms to some folks.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

They're good bait for bream. You'll find more info in the Live Bait forum:

Live Bait

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using waxies for years for crappie,tip your jig with one and you'll see a difference.I even put the crappie nibbles and waxies together in a syringe and shoot the up the end of the tube,that also works.If you use waxies your catch ratio will go way up on the bites that you get,a must in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreednNC View Post
    I think dad told me they were 9 dollars a 100 or 1000 (cant remember) ...

I'd be shocked if it were per 1,000. I've never seen them that cheap. The prices below are typical:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hog Daddy View Post
    delivered....or $6.50 per 250. If I run into a bind and have to buy locally...I've seen them selling for $11 per 250...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast