Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "Search" rig....

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Search" rig....

I have a relatively small body of water that i routinely fish. To date, i hadn't ever caught any crappie, lake is state owned and not known for it. Over the weekend i did catch a single crappie, 10 inch and very healthy, while fishing a beetle spin for blue gill. Last night i heard a report from a guy who lives on the lake and fishes it regularly that he had been catching them with regularity. He quoted sizes and numbers but you kow how that is. My question is this, What is a good search rig to use on a "familiar" to me lake, yet "unfamiliar" to me lake as far as crappie are concerned? He claimed to be using a black rooster tail, letting it slowly fall 6-8 feet from the weed line, in
    6-8 feet of water. If i hadn't caught such a nice fish last weekend i would be hesitant, i am now intrigued and am looking for a solid, tried and true method to search for them.

Any body have any suggestions?
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Try slow trolling roadrunners, beetle spins, or jigs. Also try variations on color as well as minnow-tipped rigs. Slow troll in the areas described. This will allow you to cover a lot of water. If you find a concentration of fish, either keep going back and forth over them, or try casting/vertical jigging. Hope it helps.