Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel question

I mostly longline. I troll with 6 rods off the front. My rods are fitted with spinning reels. I was thinking about buying some of the mini baitcast type reels to save space. What are the pros and cons to this type reel?
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the same thing, but since I haven't used it yet I'll let others fill us both in on the pros and cons. Mine isn't a mini; it's the BPS house-brand baitcaster reel and BPS Microlight rod in MedLight with 10lb braid (first experience with braid too).
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I have read several who like them on this board, I have tried a few, and they are in shoebox in the garage somewhere. They half way work for jigging, but in my opinion will serve no purpose if your going to longline..
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

You cant cast them.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay with your spinning reels, you won't be happy with any of the mini's.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I was told by a buddy that the line would bunch up on one side of the spool and cause a mess due to the fact that these reels dont have a spooler on them. I think I will stick with my spinners.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one with the intension of using it just for jigging but I am very unhappy with this reel. I bought one of the cheap ones. I see they have some higher priced ones that works like a regular bait cast reel. What I mean by this is, they have a pust button to free up the spool and a star drag that actually works like a drag. The other reel the handle had to spin backwards for the line to go out and the drag didn't work unless you flipped the button to certain spot and let go of the handle if fish took off.

Any thoughts on the better ones or are they still junk to. They run about 25 a piece on ebay.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Johnboatfisher pm me your address and I will send you this one free of charge and I will pay the shipping just so It will get a new home and get out of my closet.

I forgot to ask, left or right hand retreive. It is currently set up for left hand but can be change no problem. I will change it for you since I don't have the directions to send with it.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

pw sent Thanks alot! This is why I love this site, great people, great topics, great info.

Mr.Crappie is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The New Wally Marshall Signature Series WMR5 bait cast reels are very nice , Free spool, spool tention, four ster drag and best of all 6 to 1 gear ratio
    24.99 at Academy, Cabelas and other fine stores ! I used the proto types in the classic last year on the Alabama river worked very well for tite line trolling and jigging !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast