Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of baiting others(girls,wife,daughters) hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tired of baiting others(girls,wife,daughters) hooks

For those people, mainly girls:rolleyes: . Who do not like to bait their own hooks with worm,cricket,etc. Like my daughter, who at the age of 25 I still have to bait her hook . This is a great bait for them to use:D .

Use bit and pieces of shrimp. I got this idea from another post and fish seem to love them. Little hard to keep on the hook, but you won't have to bait others hook anymore. Just get a package of salad shrimp. Cut each shrimp into 3-4 pieces. Soak in VERY VERY salty water for couple days. Then remove from water and air dry for a couple days. Put in a baggy and store in freezer till its time to go fishin.

Then its bait your own hook, when they ask from now on.....hehehe....:D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell them to get over it

I've been baiting my own hook since I was a kid. Dad did continue to remove a fish from a hook for a while, mainly for safety reasons. If they don't want to handle live bait, make them use artificials. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Kernel corn, white bread BB shot size balls and hot dog weiner pieces are never turned down by bream...and big ones too! When I was the Angler Ed. Coordinator for Texas, I'd always bring these along during student and instructor trainings/workshops/fishing trips so that those that did not like to fool with live bait could use some alternatives.

Only problem was having some of the kids and parents too eating THAT bait!!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Well me being a girl and all I sure wouldn't want to get that stinky smell of shrimp on my well manicured fingernails....So will you just please keep baiting my hooks while you get a kick out of me being so well maintained.....and enjoy my company........................:D

Post Thanks / Like

The baiting part is no problem its when the wife and daughter insist on casting thats the problem "hey pop my reel is messed up" thats what i hear when they have a world record backlash.:D then they take my pole. But even with all that I'm still glad to be fishing with them.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Well Charly ...If you weren't so good at it maybe they would stop asking...:p

Post Thanks / Like

Where is this going? A lot of response from both sides. INTERESTING

Post Thanks / Like

Default browndogmack

Both my daughters like to fish with me and they bait their own hooks and remove their own fish. they are 19 and 23 been fishing with their old man for a long time. They both also duck hunt with me and will sit in a 20 degree duck blind with me for as long as I want to stay out. Both are excellent shots and love to go hunting and fishing with me..Do I sound like I'm bragging here???? Yup I am. The wife could care less about hunting or fishing, but that's ok with me. More time with my kids.Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you will have friends for life. And don't forget to treat them nice, remember they will be the ones to pick out your nursing home....

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Charly, sounds like you are a shrimp convert.

You are right...LOTS of salt in the prep. Drying makes them tougher, and better to stay on the hook. Sounds like you have the size right, also. It's the most convenient/productive gill jig tipping I know of. Other things work, but this, in my opinion, is the overall best. Productive, natural lake food, natural fish food, good scent, different ways to prepare it (can add food coloring, etc.), cheap, easy to make, easy to keep, easy to use.

I would still suggest drying them with one of those small oscillating/blowing heaters (about the size of a large shoebox), set low, for quicker drying. I'd be a little leerie of air drying them for two days. Sounds like it works for you, but the heater/blower can do it in a short while. You can even get the consistency of beef jerky, which is tough, but once they are in the water they re-hydrate, and the scent comes out fine. At least that's been my experience.

Other than shrimp, I also use a lot of corn in grain fed ponds. Crowder peas will work too! As I say, if the fish won't eat it, we will!

Glad you are having success and enjoying the shrimp fishing. It's a good one.

Don

Oh, browndogmack...liked your post. As Herb Parsons, the champion shot once said...teach your boy to hunt, and you'll never have to hunt for your boy. Same with girls, same with fishing.
    Last edited by croppy1; 05-04-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by browndogmack
    Both my daughters like to fish with me and they bait their own hooks and remove their own fish. they are 19 and 23 been fishing with their old man for a long time. They both also duck hunt with me and will sit in a 20 degree duck blind with me for as long as I want to stay out. Both are excellent shots and love to go hunting and fishing with me..Do I sound like I'm bragging here???? Yup I am. The wife could care less about hunting or fishing, but that's ok with me. More time with my kids.Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you will have friends for life. And don't forget to treat them nice, remember they will be the ones to pick out your nursing home....
    ARE THEY MARRIED??????????????????
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast