Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Bobber ,cork, Or Stike Indicator ?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Your Favorite Bobber ,cork, Or Stike Indicator ?

I used to love using a Porcupine Quill Floater when bream fishing.:D Next would be the old cork floaters . The plastic bobbers suck .:rolleyes:
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Balsa float.

When I feel the need to use floats, I usually want the weight at the same time for a Looong cast. I tweek my floats a lot. This came from bank fishing gills near bottom in strip mines at 12'-16' a long cast from bank. First I buy my floats from Grizzly Jig Co in box of 3 doz. I like Carlsyle(sp?) in I think no.#738.
    First I cut off the plastic, designed to cut-fail bead on top. Then I put a #8 glass bead on a doll needle to hold it while I position it properly. I put the doll needle w/bead through the float stem, put a 1/2' long piece of shrink tube over the float stem and the glass bead on top. Then I hit it with a heat gun.
    The result is a so-so bobber transformed into a durable functionable one. With the addition of a large shot 6" above the jig it becomes a well balanced float that works well and casts a country mile. :D :D
    Sound like a lot of trouble? Not for me! I guess I just like things that work well without paying too much for them. :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floats

Hello Nimrod, I think I have tried just about all floats trying to find one that I enjoy using and one that works well. I dont like to use a lot of weight under a float. I try to get by with as little weight as possiable, I wanted a float that I could see but one that will stand up with a little weight. I was using the wing -it floats but the line just did not flow thru the float with a small weigh. I have finally found the perfect float for brim and crappie at Bass Pro. It is called mr. crappie floats. It is a stryofoam float with a plastic insert down the center of the float with a bead made in the top of the insert where your line goes thru. The line flows thru so easy with a very small weight. They are in a flouresent green bottom and a chartreuse top that makes them easy to see. They also come with a weighted bottom so they will stand up with out a weight on your line. I like to use these when fishing with a minnow so it can swim around freely. Try them, I think you will find it is just what you are looking for. Good luck! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

What, no Bullet Bobbers yet???? J/K:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type bobber

I started using the wagglers this year and so far really like them. Dont have to use a lot of weight with them and most of the bobber is under water so wind does not affect it a lot. I mostly use the slip bobbers. I have different styles of these but seems like I'm using the wagglers more and more.
    Mike
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

I use the small and large size unweighted styrofoam type floats from Comal Tackle Company I think, at least thats what it says on the package. But mostly the small size ones and I also use these to make VOSIs for my fly rod. I don't usually use a float (VOSI) for the fly rod but have started using them more often lately. See VOSI link below.

VOSI

Try a Jitterbee or scud on the flyrod too sometime under a VOSI. Shellcrackers (Redear) should go for it . See link below.

http://laflyfish.com/index.php
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

I use wagglers for casting and very tiny pole floats for the telescopic pole.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite bobber is Bass Pro Shops weighted balsa spring floats. The small ones.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb For Bluegill, & other sunfish .....

I like the Thill Mini-Stealth (balsa) float.

For Crappie ...... I prefer the styrofoam slip floats, for minnow fishing ... and the small, pear shaped plastic bobbers for the Float'n'Fly technique.

I've recently purchased/obtained some "rattling" bobbers ... but, as of yet, have not had a chance to try them out. I'll reserve judgement on them, until I've had a chance to use them in varying conditions.

One is a Mr Crappie Popper: (the bottom portion, in this picture, is concave ... to create a "popping" noise on the surface, by lifting & dropping it)

It also contains rattles ... which make noise when the bobber is "moved", and they "rattle" regardless of which way the bobber is on the line. It is a "slip bobber" by design ... so, in order to use it as a "popper" float, you would have to use two bobber stops - above/below - which may limit your depth setting.

The others are: Mr Crappie Rattlin Pear (mfg'd by Betts). They are the clip-on, plastic type (clip at bottom & top) ... but with rattles.

............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    What, no Bullet Bobbers yet???? J/K:D
    NOW THAT IS FUNNY STUFF!!!!!!

really though, I have never thought about bobbers so much, but now I am interested and will try some different ones. What is that quill thingy you were talking about, NIMROD?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast