Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke oil ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 stroke oil ?

How many use the Cabelas brand oil as opposed to Mercury? Cabelas is 13.00 and Merc is 35.00 What do you think its all made by the same oil company?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I have an e-tec and only run their branded oil through it. I don't think it's really any different than the alternatives but I don't want any hassles if I ever need a warranty repair.

Your manual should provide recommendations as to what kind of oil to use (probably says TC-W3). The big difference between name brands are the additives.

My vote. Spend a few extra $ and get the best you can afford. Any problems that are caused by your oil are going to be very expensive to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

must be the syn stuff, was at Academy yesterday and they had merc stuff for $20/gal?
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it meets your engine manufactures oil requirements you'll be fine. I've run a bunch of different oils over the years and never had any problems, all of them met or exceeded the TC-W3 rating of my motors. I've fished with guys that would run nothing but their engine manufactures oil in their engines, as far as I know none of the out engine makers are in the oil business. I'm currently running Mercury oil in my Yamaha.I bought several gallons a few years ago on sale cheap at bass pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Merc dealers sell quicksilver bulk oil. Take your own gallon jug and save a few bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Cabelas for the past 2 years and have not had any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post

As long as it meets your engine manufactures oil requirements you'll be fine. I've run a bunch of different oils over the years and never had any problems, all of them met or exceeded the TC-W3 rating of my motors. I've fished with guys that would run nothing but their engine manufactures oil in their engines, as far as I know none of the out engine makers are in the oil business. I'm currently running Mercury oil in my Yamaha.I bought several gallons a few years ago on sale cheap at bass pro.
    x2Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

The TC-W3 is the main thing and they all meet that. I had a buddy that ran Wallmart oil for years lots of hours they did the ski thing I think the boat is still going. I try to use real gas if their is such a thing, I think that helps your fuel lines. Iam also running Quick Silver in my Yamaha

Post Thanks / Like

I run Pennzoil Marine Premium plus all the time. I've never been a fan of the use manfactor oil only deal cause of problems I've had in the past. Now marine and off road are 2 different animals but in my opinion remember that's opinion like something else every one has one.

Yamaha and honda oil was complete junk to me. Caused tons of headaches and lots of long nitesit in thethe shop trying to figure out what was wrong til I quit using it. There was times it sounded like the motor was done for. Switched over to Ams Oil and sometimes Redline motor purred like a kitten with Ams oil. So all that spilled over when I started looking for boat oil. I swear I wouldn't fall for the relabeled stuff again.

I might be wrong they might have amazing marine oil that might make run like a jet and could tell me if the minnows are boys or girls when I go by heck if i know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast