Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Electrical Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electrical Problem

I have a 15ft jon boat that i am trying to wire up for crappie fishing. When i go i use to fishing lights that go in the water, but I have seen people with lights like this one. I was wondering how do you do this. I have a fuse box in the back and i wanted to connect about 2 or 3 of these to one fuse box so i just can use one battery. I need to be able to attach alligator clips to them as well. You can contact me by posting or email at [email protected]

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i jus clip the gator clamps to the battery . never use the boat cranking battery or the trolling battery
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have several of theselight that came from wal mart. You just go to most auto parts store and ask for 12 volt bulbs. Then all you have to do is like papasage said and replace the plug with a clip and straight to your battery. I had mine rigged by : take a 2 x4 in piece of an old tire side wall, drill a hole 1 1/2 inches in on both sides (centered) put a bolt thru each hole and run wires from each battery terminal to each bolt. I then bolted the tothe insede of the backdeck usuing a wood spacer to keep it from grounding out. Now you have a positive and a negative terminal within easy reach. Remember that these are always hot you need to rig a cover for each bolt out of some tubing or something. Also If I were going to make this setup again I would probally cut 2 srips of tire and use 1 as a backing(no holes). I hope that this makes sense it is hard to write what I could draw in just a second.

Good luck
    Rod

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i haven`t don this yet . but a idea i have is to put outside receptials in my boat and run a wire from battery to them . that way you can use them for 110 or 12 v.
    the 12 v bulbs at one time was sold at wal-mart in the camper section . i haven`t found any in a while here and the one close to the lake i fish
    Last edited by papasage; 05-05-2006 at 12:07 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Another way is to wire up 3-4 cigerette lighter plugs (automotive type- flush mount) around the gunwale. Change the gator clips to cigerette type. That way depending on the wind, anchor pattern, etc, you can move the lights around and not have wire to trip on. It is also convient for spot lights.

Post Thanks / Like

the only way you will have 120 volts is to have 120 volt source. just putting the receptacle in won't do it. you could get a 12 volt-120 volt converter and then plug your accessories into it, but thats not energy efficient. use 12 volt bulbs and wire in a terminal strip with each on a separate fuse. that way one short won't shut them all off. go to an electrical store and get a piece of din rail,6 fuse holders that use glass fuses and 6 terminal connectors and jumpers for both. run 2 #12 wires from the battery or existing boat source to these terminals. positive to the fuses and negative to the terminal strip. then land each light or whatever device to your sources, negative and positive.
    or bring it by the house and I'll do it.
    PM me and I will draw it out and mail you the sketch
    jc