Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Painting or Painting Jig Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder Painting or Painting Jig Heads

I'm looking for information on how to paint jig heads. I read a little about powder paint, but it looks like you have to heat the jig heads to around 325 degrees and dip them, return to heat for cure. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of a different kind of oven to use or if you can purchase racks. Or is there an easier way or method you can use.....

Post Thanks / Like

I use the powder paint its really easy and durable. Just hit the jig with a lighter for about ten seconds then dip it. If you get the jig to hot you will know it cause the lead will melt. After that i hang them from the rack in my oven and bake em for about 10-15 minutes. It takes a little practice but after the first few you will get the hang of it. I think it beats the heck out of painting cause you dont have to use a primer and its much faster to dip them

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coat here too. I use a small propane torch to heat the jigs up. It only takes a second. Then I dip the jighead in the powder coat, bump off excess and hook into cardboard. I then clean the hook eyes, paint eyes on them, let dry, and hang on the oven racks in the oven set at 325 degrees for 15 mins. The oven bakes the finish on and makes the finish hard and durable.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Sickle Jigs 2011 001.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  25.1 KBI powder paint also but use a alcohol burner to heat them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use a elec. heat gun, put it in the vise and then turn on and hold the jig by the hook and heat up and dip, then let cool on a rack, paint eyes and put to use, never have put them in a oven to make them last, but I only do about 10 every now and then when I run low.... been lucky since I went to braid, some days I fish all day with the same jig.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to get started give bugman a pm he sells fluid beds and you can get everything you'll need to get started he hooked me up like a family member lol he on this MO foarm or look up simplycrappie.com be of luck to yea
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cans of Sterno camp cooking fuel, alcohol based (no soot)...just hold the jig over the flame and count to 5 Mississippi (flip the jig from one side to the other on each number) and dip, have a glass bowl of water on your work table and drop the jig in the water to cool it down (no sticking in foam or cardboard). Works for me for several years now...Your milage may vary.
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a oil lamp and hold the hook and heat jig and dip. Then it goes straight in to water and sit on paper towels. I do a hundred at a time in what ever colors are ordered. Then clean eyes and hang on rack for toaster oven. I cure mine at 310 for 20 minutes. While those are curing I paint up the next hundred. All colors are a little differant as far as heat needed to properly melt powder with out getting to much powder which will then run down the head when curing. A fluid bed will take care of that problem but will be expensive. Unless you are doing a bunch i would just dip into the jar. Make sure you shake jar to fluff paint every few jigs to keep it from getting to much on the jig. I have tried several methods the last couple years and this is what works best for me. I have done almost 20,000 the last two years. I have 600 1/8 oz ball heads and 200 1/16 oz pony heads to do the next couple days for Everharts and another order. I can send you some pics of my setup if you want to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Man what a greta report on how and how not 2. Thanks fellas

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to add:

Make sure you clean the hook eyes before putting into the oven. It's 10X harder once baked on.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast