Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electrical Problem

I have a 15ft jon boat that i am trying to wire up for crappie fishing. When i go i use to fishing lights that go in the water, but I have seen people with lights like this one. I was wondering how do you do this. I have a fuse box in the back and i wanted to connect about 2 or 3 of these to one fuse box so i just can use one battery. I need to be able to attach alligator clips to them as well. You can contact me by posting or email at [email protected]

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to put a 120 volt converter in your boat to convert the 12 volts from your battery to 120 for the light.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

All you need is to cut the prongs off the cord, attach some battery connectors or wire into the fuse box, then use 12 volt lights.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

You can use any type of lamp base that you like. I made mine with 1/2" metal conduit and flood lamp bases from Lowes Hardware. Then buy 12v light bulbs and you are in business. I used the conduit so that the lights would be well above my head along with most of bugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do to every boat I have ever owned. I rig a regular 110 volt recept in my boat, but wire it to the 12 volt system. I have one port, one startboard. I run the wires to the back next to the battery. I then wire one 15 amp automotive inline fuse on the positive side wire. I then connect a ring connector on the end of each wire, Pos/Neg. Connect them to the battery. Now, go to Wal-mart in the automotive section. Look for a 12 volt ROUGH SERVICE bulb. They have a few different wattages to choose from. Use whichever one you want. Keep a spare in the boat.
    Doing it this way means you can still use your light around the house (just remember to change the bulb) without having to cut the male end off your light, or install battery clamps. You do NOT need a converter, or anything special other than the recepts and a couple of ring connectors, and the fuse. This can all be bought new for under 6 bucks. You can use any old extension cord to cut up for the wiring itself. I do have an old three way extension cord that I used years ago that I just stuck some battery clamps on that and still use it on occasion. No need for a fuse if done this way, just remember to disconnect after you're finished using it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 05-03-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Reaper...you are the idea man!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

How long will a good deep cycle batt last with 2 of those lights? 60 watt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default All night

Quote Originally Posted by sccamper
    How long will a good deep cycle batt last with 2 of those lights? 60 watt?
    As long as the battery is fully charged, and you are not running alot of other things on it, the lights should stay lit from dark till dawn. You did say a "good" deep cycle battery. Another idea is to use only one light (to see inside boat), complimented by TWO Blacklights. Using flourescent line, the black lights will light your line up so well, you will be able to detect the absolute slightest bite you get. You will see the bite better than in broad daylight. There are a couple of black lights on the market do NOT get the Optronics that walmart sells. It's ok for the money, but, not near as bright as the more expensive ones.

http://www.bassbuckandduck.com/stan_...blacklight.htm
    http://www.mickiesplace.com/Fishing-lights.htm

A guy by the name of Jumping Cholla Jigs also has a black light. I did a search and came up blank. He is a visitor to this forum. His blacklight looks great! Maybe he will read this and post a link for you.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Another "option" ..... (UV/blacklight)

is to go the "less expensive" route : http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    OR
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

I have a Stan Sloan & the BPS Ultra Night Stalker .... both are over 15yrs old and still working fine.

As for the Jumping Cholla lights:

The "Nucli-eye" lights by Jumping Cholla Tackle can be seen here : http://members.cox.net/jumpingcholla...-EYE/Flyer.pdf

The "Nucli-eye Extreme" can be seen here: (but prepare for sticker shock) http://www.wiredworms.com/NucliEye/NucliEyeExteme.html

The other two versions are new ... and may be less expensive (but will probably still be over the $100 mark). Only the "Extreme" and "Atom" come in UV (blacklight) .... the "Aurora" is a bait attractor "green" light, and has no "blacklight" properties.

Just some FYI ............... luck2ya ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Is the night stalker as powerful as the Sloan? Brightness wise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast