Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling (1 rod) multiple jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling (1 rod) multiple jigs

I've learned enough from you guys already (and I much appreciate it) to have mastered tying up some Capps & Coleman rigs and I even got out to give them a try a couple days ago. They worked well and thats an all new feel for me. I'm used to trolling a single 1/16 oz jig with a grub or swimming minnow via long lining. I've read some posts about trolling multiple gigs on a single rod but I'm not sure I got it right yet. Mainly the rigging I guess, and how you keep stuff from tangling. I'm a master at tangles and snarls. Any help -- much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

im new also but will try to tell you how i tie jigs io my line. i do not know if it has a name but it does work for me. Some times i will tie an egg sinker to end of line then jigs above that or use no sinker. hope the next part makes sense. I will take a 4 to 6 inch piece of cut line folded in half around my fishing line above sinker then thread both ends of folded line thru eye of jig head, pull main fishing thru eye making a loop, then slide loop around hook. at this point you can slide jig head up or down line to the length of separation you want between jig heads. to lock it at this place just tie a simple knot. hope it is not to confusing.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not as difficult as you might think, slide the 1st jig up the line 12-18" and tie it off however you prefer, then slide then 2nd jig on the line and tie it off. As a general rule the 12-18" of space between the jigs and the weight will keep 'em from tangleing, but it can happen. The 12-18" can be adjusted +/- depending on your preference/fishing conditions, what the fish want, etc. Then just make a normal cast while the boat is moving, and let out line accordingly. I don't use a weight on the end of the line except for the weight of the jig. I may or may not add a small split shot weight above the jigs if I need to get deeper in the water column if I only have one jig tied on and I want to get deeper to see if the fish are there before re-tying that rod with 2 jigs since I would just cut the one jig off and then rety that jig up higher and add the 2nd jig.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

By using a single rod you wont have problems with tangles. Rigging double jigs per line can be a REAL PAIN with tangles when you do that to a whole longlining set up though.:rolleyes: I used to fish doubles all the time but finally decided it wasnt worth the tangles. Yea, longlining and tangles do go hand-in-hand and can be expected, but to help eliminate some of those tangles I now fish single jigs and add a small splitshot if I want 'em deeper in the water column.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    By using a single rod you wont have problems with tangles. Rigging double jigs per line can be a REAL PAIN with tangles when you do that to a whole longlining set up though.:rolleyes: I used to fish doubles all the time but finally decided it wasnt worth the tangles. Yea, longlining and tangles do go hand-in-hand and can be expected, but to help eliminate some of those tangles I now fish single jigs and add a small splitshot if I want 'em deeper in the water column.
    Guys, thanks so much for the input. Each of you has given some good input. Last night I continued to scrounge around reading more threads and watching a Wally Marshall video which really helped. I forget the Greeks name that said "Eureka I've found it" but I found it. I finally understand how to tie a loop knot and can appreciate the pros and cons of doing so. Again, many thanks.....!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default double jig rig

Quote Originally Posted by lward View Post
    I've learned enough from you guys already (and I much appreciate it) to have mastered tying up some Capps & Coleman rigs and I even got out to give them a try a couple days ago. They worked well and thats an all new feel for me. I'm used to trolling a single 1/16 oz jig with a grub or swimming minnow via long lining. I've read some posts about trolling multiple gigs on a single rod but I'm not sure I got it right yet. Mainly the rigging I guess, and how you keep stuff from tangling. I'm a master at tangles and snarls. Any help -- much appreciated.
    This is a real easy rig to tie.

1.) slide one jig onto your line up and out of the way
    2.) tie your second jig to the tag end of your line using a loop knot
    3.) slide firstjig you slid on your line to 24" above the lower jig.
    4.) tie it in place with a loop knot
    5.) you can add a weight between the jigs to keep the rig vertical while pushing
    good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I always had more troeble with tangles in the boat than in the water I rarely use more than one jig per pole.