Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cracked Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracked Rod

I have a rod that is cracked down towards the handle. The crack is a straight line across the top of the rod maybe a 1/3 way around. I was casting a jig with another rod and had a bobber on the cracked one the bobber went under and when I went to pick the rod up it was under a cleat I caught myself before breaking it into but caused the slight crack. My question is have any of you repaired a rod like this. Read an article that said you could rap it with thread and apply 5 minute epoxy sounds real easy if I had a clue on how to begin.

Post Thanks / Like

Greenwing....I've repaired rods in this manner, and it will hold if it's not put in too much of a strain. Start winding from above the split about 2 inches. To start, lay a one inch tag end and wrap toward the handle over the tag to keep it secure. When wrapping, each wrap should be against the last one and should be tight. When you are a inch below the split cut the line you're wrapping it with (about 18 inches from the wrap) and double it back to the last wrap and leave about 2 inches as you wrap over it for another inch tightly. Once you've wrapped the remaining inch (make sure it's tight) then you can pull the 2 inch tag end until it's snugged up and cut flush. I use a braid for wrapping to insure strength and durability. Now you can epoxy the entire length, and I would recommend a 30 minute epoxy that comes in a double syringe that mixes together when you're ready to use it. Use a small brush to coat it evenly as you work your way down. You may have to slowly rotate the rod to keep the epoxy from sagging, which will help to insure a smooth finish when it's set.

I made a quick sketch to make it a little easier to understand....

The pink threads indicate the ends that will be bound down to the pole, green is the pole, black is the braid wrapping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help I am considering buying the stuff and trying it. I will be sure to print your reply to have as a guide.