Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: May is Here!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up May is Here!!!

It's finally May and the long anticipated bluegill spawn is starting in earnest here in Mississippi. It should get even better as the full moon approaches.

Went out this morning and caught 51 in about 2 hours. Threw back 9 fish less than 6 inches and kept 42. Of that 42 fish there were 28 that were between 7.5 and 10 inches. Another 14 fish were between 6 and 7.5 inches.

Sure was alot of fun. Used a BassPro 8.5 foot Micro Lite rod with 6# Yozuri Hybrid line and a bunch of crickets. Caught most of the fish 6-8 feet deep.

Anybody else having any luck yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Things are picking up here in northwest Bama. Kept 30 nice gills and shellcracker last week. They were all caught in about 4-5 foot of water. I'm off next week and it should be some good fishing. I've got a plan for the week, it's fish during the day and work on the boat deck at night!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good in IL-IA too

They are turned on up here also. On a trip to southern IA. last week .I got a nice mess of gills and crappie.(caught 100s kept some.) Bass Pro Micro Lite spin-fly rod. I was in a float tube and the rod was perfect for casting the 1/80 Grizzly Jig "Bill's water Flea" Tipped with a wax worm.
    This was a different way of fishing for me. A large spool Daiwa reel and 4 lb. Trilene XL combined with the BP rod allowed me to cast the 1/80 jig with no added weight. The slow fall of the "flea" was perfect. It even worked well in deep water off a dam face, although it was a bit of a wait for the "flea" to reach the gills holding at 15'+ A shot added above the jig brought on a case of lockjaw. I just gave them what they wanted.:D
    Attn. administrators- You need to get Bass Pro on board with advertising. The Micro Lite rods is all I buy from them at this time, but they are perfect tools for what I do and comparitivly reasonable. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Caught these yesterday at Guntersville, AL They were caught in 4 feet of water on squirel tail jigs and crickets
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Mike .......

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller
    Attn. administrators- You need to get Bass Pro on board with advertising. Mike
    BPS "was" a Sponsor of this site, but have pulled their sponsorship. I don't know why (only Ed would know that), and would only be speculating by giving my thoughts on the matter. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Caught these yesterday at Guntersville, AL They were caught in 4 feet of water on squirel tail jigs and crickets

When you say jigs and crickets, do you mean you tipped the jig with the cricket and if so how did you hook the cricket? Did you catch the shellcrackers on the same or worms? I went out yesterday and had pretty fair luck on brim and shellcrackers. Around here the SC's bite better on worms and the brim on crickets. Also caught 4 channelcats, they bite the crickets and not the worms. They are on the rocks at the causeway, dam and launches.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff