Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blackshear Tactics??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Blackshear Tactics??

Hello everyone...hope you've gotten a chance to enjoy some of this great fall fishing weather like I have....been real lucky on the lakes so far and hope to keep it up through the holidays. I live in Reynolds and always have a tuff decision since I'm only 90 minutes from Oconee, Sinclair, West Point, and Eufaula. However I'm only 40 minutes from Blackshear and would like to make some half day trips there. Any suggestions on best way to fish Blackshear....I usually long line troll but haven't had much luck at Blackshear this way...

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

tiger the lake is down 3 1/2 ft now so you may want to wait till dec. to fish in blacksher . you can go aground if you dont know the lake . next time you are there git a map and you can find the channels . blacksher is a hard lake to learn to fish but you can learn it . you usealey fish close to bottom around and in the river channel .usealey befor 10:00 am. the fish will stop bitting . or when they open the gates at the power dam and the water starts flowing they will quit bitting. guess they go to bottom or git so close to structor they dont show on fishfinder.i have ben fishing and see fish and then sudinley they are gon . dont catch a lot of fish there but i catch all i want to clean :D . i have cought them in late afternoon in the river channel or clost to it i guess it is a fishing lake and not a catching lake . i go there becouse itbis onley 50 miles away and the other lakes are 130 miles .i do have the ocmulge river onley 10 miles away .papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The lake has a fair population of both black and white crappie. The crappie population will be dominated by fish less than 12 inches long. However, anglers can expect to catch an occasional fish up to 1½ lb. During most of the year, crappie can be caught in deep water near structure such as river and creek channels, brush piles, and bridge abutments, using jigs and minnows. However, in the spring, anglers who concentrate on the numerous boat docks can find some good crappie fishing. Another great place to start fishing is around the 10 fish attractors, which are conveniently marked with buoys. New brush was added to most of these sites in January 2004. Maps showing location and GPS readings of these attractors are available at the Dawson WRD office (229-995-4486). Many anglers prefer to fish around cypress trees where many of Blackshears crappie spawn. Other favorite spots include the mouth of Collins Branch, Spring Creek, Gum Creek, Boy Scout Slough, and under Smoak Bridge on the Swift Creek arm. February and March are the best times to go crappie fishing.
    check this out for crappie fishing on blacksher
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

i will go ahead and post the whole artickle about lake blacksher . Crisp County Power Company operates this 8,500-acre reservoir located on the Flint River in southwest Georgia. The waters of this shallow reservoir support good populations of bass, crappie, white bass, hybrid bass, stripers and catfish.

Bass fishing should be fair during 2004. Presently, the bass population is dominated by fish ranging from 14-16 inches. However, the number of bass larger than 5 lb. is the highest its been in recent years. Anglers should keep in mind that Lake Blackshear has a 14-inch minimum size limit for largemouth bass. During the spring and early summer bass are attracted to the many cypress trees found in the shallow waters. Good bass fishing can be found around cypress trees in Limestone Creek, Gum Creek, Collins Branch, and the upper end of Swift Creek. Anglers who enjoy fishing boat docks will find Blackshear to their liking. There are approximately 1,200 houses on this lake, and almost every house has a dock or pier where bass can be caught. Early morning top water or spinner baits, and late afternoon Texas rigged worms, are preferred. The most productive months are March through May.

The lake has a fair population of both black and white crappie. The crappie population will be dominated by fish less than 12 inches long. However, anglers can expect to catch an occasional fish up to 1½ lb. During most of the year, crappie can be caught in deep water near structure such as river and creek channels, brush piles, and bridge abutments, using jigs and minnows. However, in the spring, anglers who concentrate on the numerous boat docks can find some good crappie fishing. Another great place to start fishing is around the 10 fish attractors, which are conveniently marked with buoys. New brush was added to most of these sites in January 2004. Maps showing location and GPS readings of these attractors are available at the Dawson WRD office (229-995-4486). Many anglers prefer to fish around cypress trees where many of Blackshears crappie spawn. Other favorite spots include the mouth of Collins Branch, Spring Creek, Gum Creek, Boy Scout Slough, and under Smoak Bridge on the Swift Creek arm. February and March are the best times to go crappie fishing.

White and striped bass populations are fair. However, the hybrid bass population has improved substantially with the stocking of hybrids the past two years. Excellent survival and growth will provide good fishing for 2-4 lb. hybrids this year. White bass numbers will only be fair with the average fish weighing less than 1 lb.

The striped bass population will be dominated by fish less than 20 inches, with a few fish up to 10 lb. Good areas to try are around Smoak Bridge and in Gum Creek and Boy Scout Slough. Due to ongoing efforts to rebuild the striped bass population, fishing for all species is closed in three springs located in Lake Blackshear, from May through October. Please help us in this recovery effort by not disturbing the fish while they occupy these springs. For more information on these restrictions, please see the current Georgia Sport Fishing Regulations.

The bream populations have been steadily improving over the past few years, and as a result, Blackshear is once again becoming a popular destination for anglers interested in catching bream. Bluegill numbers are good and will average 6-7 inches. Redear sunfish numbers are also up and anglers who can locate spawning fish should be rewarded with good numbers of 8-9 inch fish. Favorite bream fishing spots tend to be above the Hwy. 280 bridge. The better bluegill fishing can be found in the Smokehouse Slough area. Redear hot spots are Spring Creek, Limestone Creek, Pecan Slough and Wheatleys Slough. Anglers can expect their best catches on crickets and worms during April, May and June.

Channel and flathead catfish populations are good. Expect most of the channel catfish to be 1-2 lb., while the flatheads will average around 10 lb. Both species are bottom feeders, but channels are scavengers, while flatheads are predators. Therefore, fish for channels with worms or blood and cheese baits, and use live bait such as small bream, shad and suckers for flatheads. While channel catfish can be caught lakewide, flatheads usually inhabit deeper water, where river and creek channels meet.

next page

Print | E-mail
    This item for free.

Pages
    1 - Introduction
    2 - Allatoona
    3 - Allatoona Fish Attractors
    4 - Andrews
    5 - Bartlett’s Ferry
    6 - Blackshear
    7 - Black Shoals
    8 - Blue Ridge